Help with external hard drive needed

Fortgarrison

Beta member
I have a WD My Book 2 TB external Hard Drive. Lately when I restart my computer with it plugged in it will either not be recognized or it will show up but I can not access anything on it. On the occasions that it is recognized I open it up and it was that it is entirely empty.

The only way I can make sure it works is by having it unplugged when I start up my computer and plug it in when it is up and running.

Things I have tried:

• scanning for viruses
  • reinstalling the driver.
If anyone out there can help me with this, or explain what is going on I would be very thankful. I am not the best with computers so please have patience with me.

if you right click on the drive in my computer does it show any data as being used? or does it show it being blank?

unplug it, restart your machine, after it reloads plug the drive back in. Does it say something to the effect of reformatting before you can use it, or does it just see the drive as normal?

okay thats weird, i just restarted my computer and now the drive works perfectly with it being plugged in as it started. Murphy's law i guess

Sometimes things just get out of wack and needs to be reset. No biggie, but I would still do an error check and scandisk of the external just to make sure there are no issues with it. Doesnt matyer how new it is, drive failure can happen at any time.

Back
Top Bottom