New GPU Having Issues

J0bb3r

Solid State Member
Ok so I got the new R9 280x gpu. I came home from work and installed it only to stare at a black screen...I uninstalled my other gpu driver b4 I installed it made sure it was completely slotted along with the new ram. The card boots up and the fans run wether I have the 8pin and 6pin plugged at the sAme time or by there selfs. The box says it needs a 500w power supply and I have a 650w antec. When I put the old gpu back in it boots up fine with the screen. The only thing I haven't tried is going into the bios and making sure the pcie slot is set as the default. I've never had this issue and how do I tell if the card is DOA when the fans come on? Or is it just not compatible with my MOBO?

When I have both set of pins plugged in my mouse keyboard and monitor don't come on. I had the Radeon 5750 b4.

I'm at a friends house right now actually. We put it in his computer and the bottom dvi slot worked but not the top one. So since my mouse and keyboard won't boot when its plugged into my PC and he has a 750w PSU and I have a 650w psu that I need a new psu.

Make sure your KB and M are in a USB 2.0 slot instead of 3.0

Can you see it go into the bios splash screen with the new card, or is it completely blank from button push?

I had a very similar issue with my second GTX 670. One card was fine, as soon as I introduced the second... Black screen. Come to find out, it had nothing to do with hardware. It was my OS for whatever reason that was causing the issue. I could get into the bios, but as soon as it tried to load windows, it would crash and go back into eternal boot load. I fixed that by reloading the OS with both of my cards in... Maybe (at last resort) you can try that.

It doesn't even show the bios screen. Its black from the start, I know everything doesn't try to boot up bcuz when I hit the power button it just shuts right off. If it were to boot up I'd have to hold thw button down to get it to shutoff.

Well, I'm not completely convinced it's a hardware issue, since your friends computer won't see it in a normal PCIe x16 slot...

I honestly believe it's just a PSU issue and I don't know how to test it.

An after thought, The only indication i have that its my power supply is the mouse and keyboard not coming on along with the Monitor. All the fans on the GPU, MOBO, PSU, and inside the case work along with all the lights. I keep being told a 650w PSU is good enough to power it, so is there anyway to tell if all the power is being pulled into the card and nowhere else? Or could it just be a BIOS setting?

The card started right up at my friends house in his computer which he runs a 750w PSU.

Last edited:
What is your Mobo - any onboard video? Which GPU did you get- I am looking at this same card and I think some of them that are overclocked say they need 2 x 8 pin for power and recommended a 750 watt PSU - but have it on good source that a decent 650 watt will run it fine. Also - if the PC works with the old GPU - then download the latest catalyst drivers and look on your mobo manufacturers website to see if anything needs to be updated that you can download into windows - do that first. DO NOT download any video driver stuff when they appear in windows updates - they can cause trouble. Then shut down and reboot to bios making sure the bios does have the PCI slot active/default. Then reboot again after switching out the cards.

Back
Top Bottom