Cant Access USB

The Problem Guy

Solid State Member
Hi :) first time on here and am looking for awnsers. I have an old Kingston 2GB memroy stick lets say 6 years ago it broke and i could not access it and since there was no important files on there i just bought a new one. But reciently i have needed another memroy stick and thought this one would be perfect. The problem is when i insert it into my computer (Windows 7) it knows its there and makes the sound but i cant see it in my computer but it does show up on the Devices and printers tab in control pannel and it says the device is working properly. i have tried it in another computer (Windows XP) and the drive does show up in my computer but says "please insert a disk into drive" when i try to access it. I have tried to ChkDsk it but it tells me "Cannot open voloume for direct access". I dont know what else to do have you got any ideas and i hope ive provided enough info :)

Start > right click 'Computer' > Mange... > on the left panel, click Disk Management

Does it list your drive there? If so, does it have a drive letter and/or what format does it say it's in?

Wait no it does show in windows 7 i did not go in far enough so it also says the same thing as what it did on XP it shows the USB as drive E and no media

Well if it's doing the same thing on multiple systems... I'm guessing the flash drive is bad then.

You could try booting off of a Linux LiveCD and seeing if it reads it there.

That's why I said a Linux LiveCD ;). If you download and burn an ISO of a distribution such as Ubuntu to a disc, and boot off of it, there's an option to "Try Ubuntu" which is a live environment that's running off of RAM and doesn't touch your Windows install(s). Then you could plug the flash drive in and see if it is recognized there.

I will try it i was gonna put it in my xbox so it will auto format it i think so it may fix it but i wanted to see what old files where on there first but if linux fails now (if i have a spare disk though i highly doubt i do) i can try both Linux an Mac tomoz.

Back
Top Bottom