Baseband Member
Alright, so preface with my system specs to start with:

CPU: i7 2600K @ Stock
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-v pro/gen3
HDD: 2x1TB, different drives, one SATA III other SATA II
SSD: 250GB for OS/Important Programs
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Reference
PSU: Corsair AX650

I am just on the fence right now as to whether or not I should get a 780 or wait for the 800 series to drop, I am leaning towards waiting for the 800 cards.

I am guessing I could recoup about £150-£200 on my 680 if I were to sell it just now but I am not sure if the investment in a 780 after selling the 680 would be worth it right now considering, inevitably, in about 12 months time we'll have the 800 series cards to play with.

Thoughts?

Well I won't be an idiot and buy it straight as soon as it comes out, I'll wait for AMD to trade a blow back before I shell out my money, I kinda bought a 680 as soon as it came out and regretted it somewhat, although at the same time I loved the upgrade, 460 to 680 was an awesome upgrade.

Hoping for something similar with 880 assumably, especially interested in seeing how it pans out since it's a new architecture.

The 680 was an excellent buy even when it was brand new. It's still one of the best cards on the market (remember, the 770 is a 680) and AMD has already dished their blow to Kepler. That would be the 290x. I don't expect them to release a new architecture by this time next year, but instead just refresh on the new Volcanic Islands GPUs (290 and 290x architecture). The 880 will actually be Nvidia's answer to AMD's new GPUs although the 780ti is already more than plenty to contend with the 290x.

I wouldn't have my hopes too high on Maxwell though. Believe it or not, Kepler is a new architecture but Maxwell from what I'm being told (and reading) is going to be vastly different than what we are used to. Whether this is true I'm not sure yet but in the mean time I would just concentrate on the now. Only expect like a maximum of 20% increase in performance compared to GK110 (that would be the 780s and Titan) if it goes either way because although the 290x in its own is an awesome card it just isn't that much competition performance wise compared to whats out now.

Well, 20% is still a considerable amount and with star citizen around the corner (which I am not sure if i am intending on playing yet) it's a very interesting time for graphics cards I would say.

I also do a bit of YouTube/render work so shadowplay is a big deal to me and I am guessing that the 800 series will be the one to get for the best shadowplay experience most likely although I will hang fire.

I agree the 680 is a brilliant card and this isn't an upgrade "need" it's more just to support my ability to record game footage and produce content on YouTube a bit better.

I was looking at a 780 from my 680, but to me the 780Ti makes more sense in terms of a decent performance jump - though you do pay for that privilege, of course.

Well, 20% is still a considerable amount and with star citizen around the corner (which I am not sure if i am intending on playing yet) it's a very interesting time for graphics cards I would say.

I also do a bit of YouTube/render work so shadowplay is a big deal to me and I am guessing that the 800 series will be the one to get for the best shadowplay experience most likely although I will hang fire.

I agree the 680 is a brilliant card and this isn't an upgrade "need" it's more just to support my ability to record game footage and produce content on YouTube a bit better.
In terms of GPU 20% isn't all that much. In CPU it's become acceptable due to there not being any real competition.

Shadowplay runs fine on any Kepler or above card. Just I believe it's still in beta so gotta be careful with that.

Back
Top Bottom