Dualshock 3 lightweight modification

Geoman37

Baseband Member
Recently one of the analogue sticks on my Dualshock 3 (PS3) controller developed the commen 'sticky stick' problem. As I am going to be replacing the stick soon I am wondering whether or not I should remove the rumble motors- seeing as I never have the rumble on- thus making the controller much lighter. My concern is that this may cause some damage, as removing the motors would leave some solder with no connection on the main board. I can't see anything wrong with doing this but thought it would be best to check and ask for someone else's opinion. Thank you in advance.

Shouldn't be an issue that I could see.

Are you planning on leaving the wires on and just taping them off, or are you planning on removing the wires from the board as well?

Just going to melt the solder, remove the cable and leave to harden; I only have access a soldering iron and not one of the solder removers (don't know the name of them). Thanks for the reassurance.

As long as the solder doesn't contact any of the other traces/connections I don't see an issue occurring.

Would be easier to just take the motor off the wires, and tape off the ends though so the bare wire isn't exposed :p.

Would maybe want to do that first, since in case the controller doesn't work after removing the motor for some reason, it would be easier to fix by putting the motor back on the wires, rather than putting the wires back on the circuit board.

For anyone reading this, I found a spare controller and tested the modification out on it and it works beautifully. I have only been playing with it for about an hour and a half and already I can't stand playing with my main controller. Will be doing the modification to that controller soon as the new analogue unit arrives. Thanks again.

Glad to help and glad you got it working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom