HD, soundcard or WinAmp problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I was listening to a song in WinAmp and I was moving a 200MB file from diskA to diskB. All of a sudden my comp froze and I heard a continious beep from my soundcard/speakers. I think its my HD. I tested my memory about I month ago so I don't think its my mem. S.M.A.R.T. status is healthy. Anybody had similar problems or any suggestions? I don't want to loose a HD cause I am running out of space already. Anybody knows of a good HD diagnostics tool?

Maxtor 10GB 7200
IBM DHEA Hitachi 6GB 5400

Tnx in advance

TheMajor,

Run a scandisk ,might be some errors on the disk. And dont you think, there might be some synchronisation problems with using 2 HDD's of different company and different rpm's?

Thanks for replying.

It automatically did a scandisk after rebooting. It was scanning a partition on my Maxtor.
It doesn't matter if you are using different HD's. I never had any problems before.

The idea of differnt speeds or differnt drives from different companies doesnt seem right. I have a maxtor and two samsungs and dont have problems with them. the maxtor is ATA133 and the samsungs are SATA. They run at different speeds and are different drives.

Also I have an old 10gb hard drive in a us enclosure and it work fine with my drives in my computer.

its still happening. Its not my soundcard or winamp. It has to be a HD... how can I check them? There's nothing in my log. It just froze.

I moved thousands of files today, the biggest file was 200MB and it always froze when I copied it. It didn't happen with the other (smaller) files. I will try another "big" file and see if it happens again.

TheMajor,

BTW, this happens only when you play winamp and copy files...rite?

How about this , (for winamp5)

Recommended system requirements

* 1.5 GHz Pentium IV or comparable
* 128MB RAM
* 30MB Hard Disk Space
* 32bit Sound Card
* Windows 2000, Windows XP
* 8x speed or greater CD Burner (Required for Burning)
* 16x speed or greater CDROM (Required for Ripping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom