Bang for buck

chanchan05

In Runtime
Hi! So as Christmas is nearing, my parents asked to start scouting for a new laptop. My little sister again broke her laptop, and because of that, they're giving her my current laptop (HP dm4 1125tx, very good condition actually) because they're wary of giving her a brand new one because of her history with gadgets (she always breaks them). The new laptop is for myself. I am currently looking at two models:

ASUS S550CM-CJ092H
Win 8 64bit
Intel Core i5 3337U
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M-2GB
500GB HDD 4GB RAM
Price: P36995 (that's roughly like $850)

ASUS K55VJ-SX074H
Win 8 64Bit
Intel Core i7 3630QM
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M-2GB
1TB HDD 8GB RAM
Price: P42995 (that's roughly $1000)

So I'm wondering, does the price difference justify the discrepancies in specs? Or is the more expensive one a great bargain for the price? Note that I'm buying this straight from the ASUS concept store in my country (Philippines), so this is the lowest price I can get for these from a reputable source. I'm thinking the K55VJ is a great bargain compated to the S550CM, but I could be mistaken. Plus it's quad core 2.4Ghz turbo boosting to 3.4Ghz (as opposed to 1.8Ghz turbo to 2.7Ghz on the S550CM) so better future proofing. But either way I'll be held back by the GPU if ever anyway, since they run the same model. Current use for laptops isn't much demanding. Aside from the usual movies, web browsing and typing, the most demanding use would probably be rendering videos and presentations with HD pictures and a CT/MRI scan output reading program (I don't know what my radiology professor uses, but I plan on getting one, it seems a dedicated program anyway). The current heaviest load on my laptop is playing Skyrim occasionally. I checked and both models above can run Skyrim on high (according to game-debate.com), which is good. I'm really looking for value for money here. :)

EDIT:

I found another model in their catalog:

ASUS X450CC
Intel Core i5 3337
Win 8 64bit
Nvidia GeFore GT 720M
750GB HDD 4GB RAM
Price P32995 (roughly $650)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom