Can't boot new Comp!Diff from other thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
I just finished installing my new MB and cpu but i cant get it to boot. This is my first time switching MBs. Ive moved other ones to new cases and installed new hardware on them before so i know its all hooked up right.
Specs are as follows: MSI 865g NEO2 MB, P4 3eghz/800fsb/1mb L2, HDD is my 80g out of my last HP computer with windows already on it. Bios recognizes all the hardware properly. I thought that I could just installed everything and it would boot up as normal, but i guess I'm wrong there. It loads up the MSI ad screen and then just goes to the black screen of death with a cursor at the top.

Anyone know what i might want to do? If I cant figure this out and use this current HDD i guess ill try buying a copy of windows xp and try loading it onto another HDD.

Thanks
Joe

Try a repair with the XP disc.
Check all HD cables+jumpers

or

Remove all unneccesary devices. Try booting with only gfx, RAM, CPU, monitor

And clear your BIOS if this doesn't help.

Wont you need to format your HD before you try installing a new Mobo? That's what I would think the problem is anyways. And of course try the things TheMajor said. Good luck!

Yes, its recommended to do a format, but I would try to do a repair first. Would save you some time on installing crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom