Computer Freezing Up

DaytonaJoe

Solid State Member
My computer recently began freezing up at seemingly random intervals. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a game or browsing the internet. What I have noticed is that if I'm playing a game and this occurs, the game's audio crashes first. The soundtrack will glitch and loop, and then 30 seconds or so later the screen locks up. However during the screen lock up I still have cursor control and I have full voice communication through skype. This will continue as long as I care to leave the computer running. The only way out is a cold shut down.

If I am browsing the web when this occurs, I sometimes get a blue screen and sometimes it freezes up similarly to what happens during a game. I downloaded a program for viewing the blue screen memory dump, here is the info generated from the last crash:

==================================================
Dump File : 112413-6879-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/24/2013 3:32:56 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : fffffa80`0c9e04e0
Parameter 2 : fffff880`063666ac
Parameter 3 : ffffffff`c000009a
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000004
Caused By Driver : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5d140
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\112413-6879-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 262,144
Dump File Time : 11/24/2013 3:33:43 PM
==================================================

This computer was built by me two years ago and has never caused me any trouble. I tried googling the driver that supposedly caused the crash and it may be related to my video card, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update your graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website (nVidia or ATI).

I tried that, including going into the registry and removing every trace of the old drivers. It didn't solve the issue.

I came across a hint on google suggesting I update my SSD's firmware, and so far it's been an hour with no crashes. Hopefully that was the solution!

Update: For anyone out there facing a similar issue, the SSD firmware update was the solution!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom