Very strange problem help would be appreciated

Blazemaster

Baseband Member
Ok so last night me and my friend went to upgrade my ram I was buying 2 used 2gb sticks so we tried to put them in to find out since dell manufactured them they will not fit (because dell is stupid). So then we stick the old ram back in turn on the pc and get a plain black screen no strange beeps from mother bored just seems moniter is getting no signal from the video card, so luckily my friedn had a 9800gtx brand new in the box still so we put that card in turned on the pc still the black screen and i don't believe its the monitor because when we unplug it from the vid card it says no signal detected now everything in the pc is also recieving power from the power supply anybody have any idea whats going on, please don't tell me its the mobo :neutral:

EDIT: So I tried to get into the monitors menu by accessing it via the buttons on the monitor won't do anything except say monitor is going to sleep mode could the monitor be the problem?

Last edited:
If the RAM you tried wouldn't fit then it wasn't because Dell is stupid, it's far more likely that you tried to install the wrong RAM. Did you ever try to power up the machine with the RAM that wouldn't fit? If so, you may have fried the motherboard. It's also possible that you damaged 1 or more of the RAM slots on the motherboard by trying to install incorrect RAM.

Thanks for the input and yes it was ddr3 ram both sets but I can see now how powering it up with the ram that didn't fit properly could fry the mob this is probably what happened which is disappointing but I needed a new pc anyways so could I transfer the processor I have to a new mobo as long as it is compatible? Sorry I'm kinda new to building your own pc

Thanks for the input and yes it was ddr3 ram both sets but I can see now how powering it up with the ram that didn't fit properly could fry the mob this is probably what happened which is disappointing but I needed a new pc anyways so could I transfer the processor I have to a new mobo as long as it is compatible? Sorry I'm kinda new to building your own pc

Giving us the specs of your current PC will help us determine what you can do.

Intel i7 processor 8cores
9800gtx
2G ram
Asus mobo
4 125g hard drives raid
2dvd burners
850w power supply
Windows 7 deep blue
that's about it

Can get the CPU from Control Panel > System, under the 'System' heading.

Motherboard model you can get by physically looking for the model # on the board.

I can't access my pc because my screen is black I'll get the model number of mobo after work today Thx for the help again

Back
Top Bottom