ATI Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imhotep

Baseband Member
I am about to purchase a video card manufactured by ATI, my choices here are Raideon 9000, Raideon 9200 or something called All In Wonder 9700.
My pc is pretty fast, 2.8ghz P4, 768mb ddr ram .. I don't do a lot of intensive gaming such as Halo 2 or anything, but I do game, mostly the Quake series. Right now all I have the wonderful onboard SiS chipset, but that is getting to be a pain for using glquake.
Money for the card is not an issue, but I don't want to buy one that I won't utilise. So do you guys think I am going in the right direction for the card, or are there other options you could suggest?
Thanks.

if money is not an issue then i suggest that you go for either a nvidia 6800GT or 6800 Ultra series.. what is ur agp speed? 2x?4x? or 8x?

Yes, 6800 is the best card now, but I suggest you go with the Radeon 9800 Pro. Its not too expensive but is enough to squeal through modern games at high settings and even a little AA/AF. Unless you just want to go out and spend $400-500 on a video card to get a 6800.

My AGP speed is 8x, but I have looked into those nVidia cards and yeah they are nice, but I'm not sure if it would just go to waste on my pc playing Q3.
The ATI seems to have the ability to do what I want, I'm not all that serious about gaming, I just like to blow off some steam every once in a while and get some frags!!

Yea, then I'd recommend the 9800 Pro, or if you don't want to spend that much, get a 9600XT, which should provide you all the performance you need for what you do. The 6800s are nice, but it sounds like it would go to some serious waste doing what you do. Heck, my GeForce 4 MX did fine with Q3.

yea, a 9600 pro will be more the plentiful for Q3. trust me on that one.. my old Geforce2 mx440 could do wonders with q3 and same with my tnt2

if you are on Intel, do not go for nVidia. ATi is a wise choice.

do not think for buying 9200 (worst than 9000), you'll find 9000 better.

9700 is best of all you mentioned.

but my personel opiniion will be 9800 PRO (128MB version). Do Not ever think of 9800(256MB)

* this all is based on personel experiences.

out of the ones you mentioned 9700 if its a fair price.You might look at the Nvidia 6600 or even the 6800 for a decent up to date card at a good price .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom