Average budget!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i'd go with a p4 procesor so you can use a pci-e video card but i know how the hardheads are out there with amd :|

i think you should check your sources there. New AMD motherboards like the Abit AX8 have PCI-E ;) just a friendly correction.

for gaming, like lots of people will tell you - go with AMD, probably something around a 3000+ or 3200+ 64bit.

for ram, corsair or OCZ are generally good. i would suggest getting a 2*512Mb kit of PC3200.

for a video card, if you have enough money left over from buying all your other hardware get a 6600GT in PCI-E or AGP depending of course on which motherboard you buy. they give considerably better performance than the 9800pro (still a good choice beedub) and only cost a little bit more. This benchmark should give you some idea of how good this card is.

i would recommend an SATA hard drive, because of the performance gain over a normal IDE hard drive. The brand doesnt matter really, as hard drives rarely have issues.

the case is totally up to you, and you're unique taste. so find one you like, then ask people if its good or if its one to steer clear of.

for an OS i would recommend windows (sadly, yes) XP because its easy to use, and its relatively inexpensive. and is compatible with all new games.

Raekwon said:
for an OS i would recommend windows (sadly, yes) XP because its easy to use, and its relatively inexpensive. and is compatible with all new games.

if at all possible, steer clear of XP Home Edition. It's fine for the average user, but i find it a pain in the butt for even slight tweaking, 50% successful with networking/troubleshoting. Professional is just alot less to deal with and i recommend it if you can afford it.

if im not mistaken SATA is truly not much faster presently 150 as compared to 133 with ATA... but its true potential lies in its ability to go past 600 before 2007(just what ive read), even tho i am eyeing a nice little 10k RPM SATA for myself. I do realize that SATA can send in both directions simultaneously whereas IDE cannot, and that 2 drives on one IDE cable can only be accessed or used in any way 1 at a time... but im just saying on seperate channels IDE is not much slower than SATA at the moment.... IDE=ATA for those who are newish... also i think alot of you have gone well beyond his budget... some of you many times over...

4W4K3 said:
if at all possible, steer clear of XP Home Edition. It's fine for the average user, but i find it a pain in the butt for even slight tweaking, 50% successful with networking/troubleshoting. Professional is just alot less to deal with and i recommend it if you can afford it.

Yes, get XP Pro, although I can hardly call it inexpensive. XP Pro is tons better for tweaking, as us PC enthusiasts like to do.

beedubaya said:
Yes, get XP Pro, although I can hardly call it inexpensive.

i wouldn't know:)

when i tried to tweak mt gf''s rig (has XP HOME) it loaded windows and just sat...i disabled something and it just didn't like it i guess. It really was a pain to find a file on the internet setting them all back to defaults and then going back and tweaking them one at a time again. Never had this problem on any of my machines and they all run Pro.

LOL you said you dont want the best gaming computer and you start hiting up the 3500 and socket 939.

thnks man and Codeine Yes i have this computer below but I wont another 1 with the cash i have left over...
Thnks again Ek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom