Can installing Windows ruin a Hard Drive?

Kanbabrif

Baseband Member
I had Windows 7 on my laptop and I stalled windows 8(Legal bought disc). It installed good and booted up, After about 1 day it froze and my hard drive crashed and would no longer boot up, It turned out that the hard drive was bad.

My question is, could it have been caused by installing Windows 8 or was it that the hard drive was bad before hand? I got a new HD but I want to make sure before I attempt to re install windows 8.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ask any linux fan boy and he'll tell your that installing windows will always wreck your hard drive....LOL

More on a serious note: no installing any version of windows won't hurt the drive. It mostly a co-incidence that your drive died when you installed W8

Ask any linux fan boy and he'll tell your that installing windows will always wreck your hard drive....LOL

More on a serious note: no installing any version of windows won't hurt the drive. It mostly a co-incidence that your drive died when you installed W8

Ok Thank you, i just wanted to make sure

If the HDD was bad, then installing anything or writing any data to it could have pushed it over the edge.

Like Joe said, Windows 8 specifically didn't kill your drive, but writing data to an already bad drive probably did.

Back
Top Bottom