windows 8 older laptop drivers questions

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have an older hp dv6700 series laptop from 2008. I just installed windows 8.1 on it haven't activated yet since the results of this thread will indicate whether I keep win8 on this laptop.

My questions are: I downloaded all the drivers for everything just fine however there is a a problem with the video driver (intel gma x3100) the driver works fine for most things however I cannot play games like minecraft due to hardware acceleration issues. I had windows 8 release preview a long time ago on the computer and I was able to install the vista driver and play minecraft just fine. However now it says when I try to install the vista driver it says a newer version is already installed. what I don't get is why would microsoft/intel release a newer driver but strip it of features that allow it to use things like openGL?

IMO the companies are releasing these stripped drivers to make the computer feel slow and crappy so we will just buy new ones.
second question:

I tried uninstalling the driver included with windows and install the same vista driver and it would not install it says operating system not supported. Is there any driver available anywhere that has opengl support for windows 8?

In vista compatibility mode it says

"your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software. Setup will now exit". WTF intel. I just don't get why there is a perfectly functioning driver in windows 8 but with acceleration disabled

Back
Top Bottom