Bake a Pretty Cake!
This build is less than a year old:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
SSD: Intel 520 Series 250GB SSD
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W​

A couple months ago I started having a problem where my every day use was normal, but after returning to my computer the monitors would not resume from standby. The computer was still running, and as far as I could tell, all of my programs were still working in the background. This problem continues to occur, although not as much lately. I'm not sure if it's related to the main problem I'm now having, which is:

My computer locks up. It starts with one program, where others are still usable. Sometimes it starts working after about 30 seconds - still very annoying. Other times it progresses and all programs lock up - and then they all start working after 30 seconds (and everything I had clicked during the lock up goes into action). Now more frequently, it locks up, starting with one program, then moving to them all, then my mouse freezes, and it never comes back (and I have to reboot). After a reboot, this often happens within the first 5 minutes of use, so I end up in a constant reboot/use for a few minutes cycle until it magically works - and then it can go for days without issue.

My first thought was an issue with my PSU, but now I'm not so sure. Ideas?

Have you tried to run a Malware and Virus scan. It almost sounds like something is robbing your system of resources. You can also try to go into control panel and Admin tools and select Performance monitor and when it starts to hang see if you can locate what is causing the problem. At least this will rule out software as the issue.

I ran malwarebytes, which came up clean. I've hung out in performance monitor and haven't seen much, maybe some CPU spikes. I'll keep a closer eye on that.

Doing certain things seems to be a surefire way to freeze, like zipping files.

While Photoshop was freezing for about 30 seconds...

p8afQ3Z.png

then it recovered and everything went back to normal. Just a 30 second freeze.

Does this mean I should be looking at my hard drive?

While Photoshop was freezing for about 30 seconds...
Does this mean I should be looking at my hard drive?

Hmm if you think you are having performance issues off and on with your ssd..

1.You could opt in for CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Run a full scan and see what it says.

2.You could also have a look into this also:
SSD Accelerator
I recommend you try the trial version of system mechanic professional.

I will say this, you might want to look at what you utilize most and look at task manager.
Zero in on which app spikes up and down and see if it might need a new update or be taken off of windows.

It has been a number of apps. The last time it was photoshop. Previously it has been 7zip, or skype, or something else.

I have already run CCleaner. I'll give System Mechanic a try, thanks.

It has been a number of apps. The last time it was photoshop. Previously it has been 7zip, or skype, or something else.

Hmm, never heard of 7zip causing system issues also skype I recommend you keep that off.
Last I used skype it was chewing up 15% or 20% of my cpu usage and snacking through my memory resources.

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/winrar-x64-501b1.exe
Even though it is trial based, it doesn't expire, just like winzip but much better.
I don't know how you manage to keep your communication apps together like skype.
I recommend you look into trillian for managing skype.
https://www.trillian.im/

Mine is currently shut down, only time I use it is if I'm trying to reach somebody else through other means. :)

Let us know what happens with your issue.

I've never had any problems with 7zip before either - I don't think 7zip is at all the culprit here.

Last edited:
Since running System Mechanic I have had a few program freezes which all resolved themselves within 20 seconds and never required a reboot. Ultimately the situation seems to have improved, but is not completely resolved.

I am really liking Trillian so far, though Skype was not the cause of the problem here. The recent freezes I've had were opening Photoshop and hitting play on a video in Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom