Major external HD slowdown

Got an update. When I restart my computer, the drive behaves fine as long as I only read from it. As soon as I try to write to it, regardless of the program doing the operation, the drive seems to be unable to retrieve information on the contents of its folders. Every single folder entry requires a re-examination of the contents.

When the computer boots, every folder I go into on the drive has the icons on every picture/video/whatever in the folder already loaded, but one write operation messes everything up. Does anyone know what might be causing this specific behavior?

Got an update. When I restart my computer, the drive behaves fine as long as I only read from it. As soon as I try to write to it, regardless of the program doing the operation, the drive seems to be unable to retrieve information on the contents of its folders. Every single folder entry requires a re-examination of the contents.

When the computer boots, every folder I go into on the drive has the icons on every picture/video/whatever in the folder already loaded, but one write operation messes everything up. Does anyone know what might be causing this specific behavior?

Remove the drive from the enclosure like I suggested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

If it's the enclosure that turns out to be bad, you can buy a separate enclosure to put the drive back into.

Have you tried connecting the EHD to another computer (WinXP,linux etc.) ?
Just a suggestion to be double sure.
I own two drives of 2TB each - WD MyBook (for 3 yrs now;50GB free)& Seagate BackupPlus (for 8 months now,690GB free), so your problem has me concerned even more.

You've overloaded the drive. You need to purchase another drive and transfer some of the files over. You didn't mention if your drive is partitioned. If it is you can use a program to copy each partition and transfer it. If it's all under one partition I'll try to think of a work around. Also, are you running a USB3 external on a USB2 jack? I had similar issues running my USB3 hdd on usb2 jack. It would do the same thing but nbot to the point you're experiencing because the drive has about 80% free space. When I bought it I was told it would work on a USB2 jack but I wouldn't get the benifts of speed. What they didn't tell me is that it would slow things down by about 400%

Back
Top Bottom