system ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
how can i tell if my computer (Dell Precision M90) can run a 64 bit system? it has an Intel core 2 T7200 @2.0 GHZ. this was originally an xp computer, that someone installed a 32 bit windows 7 o.s. system into. there are several small things wrong with this, so it is going to have to go in to the shop fairly soon. if this is capable of running @ twice the speed, i will have them install a 64 bit o.s.

carnageX, seems like you answer most of my questions here. thank you very much!! i try to thank you on the buttons at the bottom of the pages. but it keeps saying i have to give others thanks first. so at this point, this is probably the best i can do. //// now, i THINK that a 64 bit system should be twice as fast as a 32 bit system (at least in theory) because it processes twice as much information at one time. i realize that there will most likely be something that will prevent it from being exactly twice as fast. but am i correct in my thinking about this?

carnageX, seems like you answer most of my questions here. thank you very much!! i try to thank you on the buttons at the bottom of the pages. but it keeps saying i have to give others thanks first. so at this point, this is probably the best i can do. //// now, i THINK that a 64 bit system should be twice as fast as a 32 bit system (at least in theory) because it processes twice as much information at one time. i realize that there will most likely be something that will prevent it from being exactly twice as fast. but am i correct in my thinking about this?

Not quite. It's more of a difference in architecture and how it addresses data.

Here's some links to explain the differences:
The Lifehacker Guide to 64-bit vs. 32-bit Operating Systems
32-bit and 64-bit explained
64-bit computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom