pc doesnt even power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattymcrae

Beta member
i have been given a pc wich doesnt even switch on.
i have taken the case off and when i press the power button the fan on the cpu rotates about 1 degree and then stops and thats it the computer lies powerless, not even a buzz or anything.

I was advised this could be the psu but i have put a new one in and its exactly the same still. i have disconected the hdd the floppy and the dvd drive but still nothing.
please help as im coming to my witts end.

have you tried

checking the power cable coming out of the psu? is it a good cable? does it have a good connection with all devices?

also, has the computer been unplugged for a long time? if so the battery in the cmos (bios) might be dead, if you can get power to the battery, let it charge for a few days, then try it again

(btw that battery could also be replaced it is the size of a watch battery)

and check the power cable (from the wall to the psu) make sure it has no shorts in it, that wouls make it pretty hard to get power to the psu

if it aint none of those, i dont know what to tell you, except that your mobo or bios chip might be fried, in which case it probably wouldnt let any power through to the fan

Also, what type of MoBo is it? Do you press a button on the front of the PC for power or do have to flip the switch on the back of the PS?

If you press a button on front for power, make sure that that connection isn't loose/bad or that the button itself isn't faulty.

See if the jumpers from the the power on button are connected to the motherboard in the correct fashion. If They are not connected in the correct order the computer will not turn on.

I have had that problem when I messed up the BIOS setting. take out the battery and leave it unpluged a few min and put it all back together and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom