corsair XMS latency question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxy your correct , if your running auto cad , (whoooaa) and multi..then your putting a strain on your ram!
im not gonna get involved in the lat reports becaus ei havent seen where it affects what i do ! and i not that into the tighest specs either. its what i do know...speed= ram + hdd space, runout of either and your doomed! oh by the way..im reffering to nothing more than hard drive space as to V. R. ... and cad eats up a lot of v.r.

you'd be surprised at how big of difference there is between say 2-2-2-5 latency RAM and 2-3-3-5 Latency (which I don't think that specific combo 2-3-3-5 exists I'm just using an example right now) but anywho, those two numbers there in the middle, the ras to cas and ras precharge, have a significant effect on the amount of memory that's transferred through. If you happen to have 2-2-2-5 RAM, run memtest and see what it registers you mb/sec as, then change it to 2-3-3-5 and you'll notice a significant decrease. All these timings are of course in terms of nanoseconds, but they do add up by the time you notice anything.

If you have high latency RAM then 512 probably would suit your needs, and a lot of people would agree that's a good amount for most applications. And it is really. You only need 1gb of RAM high performance or not, if you game and/or do multitasking and running things like CAD then yeah you are definitely needing atleast 1gb of good RAM and even that I think would serve your needs. If you run Freemem it shows you how much is being used. Use that program to see how low your current RAM levels are and see how much you need to upgrade.

The latency number that can be loosened up the most is the last number the Cycle Time(Tras) this number is generally loosened when overclocking your RAM, otherwise you want it as tight as possible and generally even with valueRAM you can tighten that timing up. I have kingston valueRAM rated at 3-3-3-8 but it runs 2.5-3-3-6 no problems. The first number is the Cas Latency and generally that's where you definitely know between valueRAM and high performance.

ValueRAM will be 3 although if you want to pay a little bit more they generally have an option between CL2.5 or CL3 which is saying Cas latency 2.5 or Cas latency 3. I don't know if there's valueRAM that has a CL of 2 or if that's strickly high performance RAM, although since I know you can on some sticks and perhaps with a little luck hit 2.5 on a rated 3 maybe you can hit 2 on a rated 2.5

NvidiaFanBoy - Just ignore anyone who gives you crap don't go along with it.

Everyone Giving Fan Boy Crap - Stop it as people are trying to learn here, regardless of what your opinion is of somebody take it to a private conversation not in the threads. If he posts incorrect information that could potentially lead to someone new learning something wrong, rest assured I or somebody else will see it. Try to correct without being offensive also.

- Nubius

Nubius ..thanks for the tech tqalk on ram ...mmm so thats what that crap is all about ... ok learned somethig here! still dont see where the diff is though, sorry in a lil slow , it will take some messin around to see the difference , unless you can point me to something where i can see the difference ok? Shoots i didnt get the parity stuff for a long time ...DUH Is Me i guess! Hey as long as i can make this SLOW machine " SMOKE " then im happy .

I think a nice stick of 2-2-2-5 low lat xms 1 stick 512mb ram would be fine for almost everyone. Next time your gaming hit alt+tab and minimize it to the desktop. Then press alt+ctrl+delete and look at the Commit Charge. As long as it's no where near the max you should be more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom