Wanting to remove my existing heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
Hello,

Im wanting to install my Jet 4 cooler very shortly but one thing im unsure about is how to remove the existing fan and heatsink on my processor, its an Intel P4 2.4 478 socket. I had a little dabble at it lastnight, being very careful of course and found that it wasnt coming off to easy, is there a trick to it. I undid the two clips either side which loosend the whole unit but it was still held in place by something?

As you can tell ive never done this before so I dont want to have another go until i know full well what i shoudl be looking for.

If someone could possibly provide pictures or website which lays out step by step procedures?

thanks.

Your CPU is held on like this:

zif%20cpu.jpg

most likeley there was to much thermal paste (seen below) on the cpu
during the installation, causing the fan not to come off

49.jpg

Make sure that all of the clips are undone however(i.e. Clips on the side, screws)

cool, thanks! is their a trick to seperating the heatsink from the paste without causing damage?

jesus that thing is a beast, i dunno man i dont like where the air is being blown out of that thing, it looks like the hot air is being blow right onto the video card :-\ it might screw up ur circulation depending on where all ur other fans are setup and intake and exhausted

eh, its not designed to do that, screw up my circuits? anywayz, if anyone knows the answer to my question, it would be appreciated.

it says right on that page I used the normal technique of putting a little thermal paste on the center of the heat spreader and then using a hard plastic to slowly spread the paste around. It resembles the action of spreading a thin layer of butter on toast bread. After that, I just snap in the heatsink into place. It was a tight fit but it fit nicely nevertheless. Next was making sure that the heatsink hooks were connected to the CPU bracket properly and voila, that's it.

yeah but im a complete newbie to replacing coolers, and his review doesnt clearly illustrate where the cpu heat spreader is, im assuming its the bottom plate of the heatsink?

it looks like ud attach it just like a normal heatsink fan, there should be two clips on the sides where it clips right onto the black thingy surrounding the cpu...lol sorry 4 the poor description... but yea just stick it right on top of the chip try 2 move it side 2 side until it seems like u found a sweet spot and it wont move anymore, than take the two clips it came with it put em in the slots and press down on both sides till u hear the click, im not too familiar with intel setups with clips but from what i can tell on the pic thats what u would do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom