Graphics Card Upgrade

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
It's finally time to upgrade my graphics card.
I've been using a HD4870 for a while now and it overheats just playing CoD4!
Not having bought a card for ages, I'm a bit lost with what to get.

Want something that can handle CoD: Ghosts, BF4 etc
I also do quite a bit of rendering (from 3ds max/maya) so something to speed that up would be a bonus. Is more memory better for this?

Budget is about £200.

This card seems a little cheap for 4gb, considering there are other R9 270's that are more expensive and half the memory.
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Boost OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Card [11217-04-40G]

Would this be better?
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (02G-P4-2762-KR) [02G-P4-2762-KR]

Any help appreciated
Thanks!

If you can afford the little extra, it's well worth getting the 280x, otherwise the 760 is your best bet.

What's the rest of your system like?

Rest of your system is fine actually. CPU performance is getting less relevant as long as you have a good quad from 2009 on or a good dual from 2011 on.

Yes sorry, I forgot to link that very card. Yes, that is a huge increase over both the 270x and 760. It's a rebranded 7970GHz which is last gens top end. Basically, GTX 770 quality if that helps.

VRAM depends all on exactly what it is you're doing. If the game or production you're doing can utilize it, it helps as long as the card is fast enough.

Nothing to do with PP's suggestion, this is only for my own curiosity:
Would it ever a better suggestion to go with a 770 (if you wanted to pay more) vs. the 280, or is the price difference not worth it?

Nothing to do with PP's suggestion, this is only for my own curiosity:
Would it ever a better suggestion to go with a 770 (if you wanted to pay more) vs. the 280, or is the price difference not worth it?
Can't tell who that was directed to, but they are neck and neck. Here in the states the 770 is 329 where as the 280x is 300. If it was myself, the extra 30 is definitely worth it to have a better driver suite. In his case, the higher DP performance is better for the professional side of things.

Can't tell who that was directed to, but they are neck and neck. Here in the states the 770 is 329 where as the 280x is 300. If it was myself, the extra 30 is definitely worth it to have a better driver suite. In his case, the higher DP performance is better for the professional side of things.
Yeah, sorry that was directed at you. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Back
Top Bottom