MSI Radeon HD R7770 GHz issues

FyshinaTux

Solid State Member
I recently got an MSI Radeon HD R7770 1GB GPU for my otherwise shabby PC. I went about installing the drivers and connecting my dual display, fired up the PC and everything worked like a champ. Until I turned off the PC... Upon turning it back on, my case fans would spin up, then shut off (as if the computer just turned off), spin up again, then shut off again after about half a second, and this process continues until I cut the power manually.

In order to get it working again I have to turn off the computer, remove GPU, turn on computer using Intel onboard graphics, re-install drivers, turn computer back off, re-install GPU, then turn the computer on again. :annoyed:

I've tried reinstalling the drivers prior to shutting down (with GPU still in) and that has no affect, it still won't start up until I complete the list of steps above.

Does anyone have any idea about this? I've tried googling and searching various sites, the best answer I've gotten so far was possible Bios update, but having looked into that I don't think that's something I'm looking to do myself, a semi-working PC is better than one that won't boot at all... (there IS an available Bios update for my Motherboard though) :(

That's the prebuilt system model, I'm chasing the motherboard model specifically.

If you open up your case, you should see it written on the motherboard usually either next to the CPU socket (the fan in the middle-ish of the motherboard is the CPU) OR down the bottom near the PCI slots (where you plugged your graphics card in)

N14939 is the only thing I could find, does that sound about right?

EDIT: there is only 1 "3"

accidentally double hit it

EDIT 2: I found that next to the GPU Slot, had to tip the PC a tad to see it as it was covered by the GPU's fan housing.

Last edited:
1104132314.jpg

That's the best quality I can get :(

if that's what you're talking about the number under Acer Inc. is IPIMB-AR, there's also REV:1.02A

If neither of those is it I'll have to shut down my computer and remove the GPU in order find it more than likey (really was hoping to not have to do that but if I have to I suppose I'll deal with it :p ).

Those are "i"s btw, not ones.

That's the one!
Hmm, and yeah I can't see any problem jump out, except that the PCIe spec is influenced by what kind of CPU you've got (3.0 for ivy bridge, 2.0 for sandy). If the BIOS is an old version (i.e before Ivy Bridge came out) it might be getting confused and trying to use 3.0 with a sandy bridge cpu? Just a guess

But yep, I'd concur with a BIOS update. Either that OR as a first measure, go into your bios and see if you can manually set anything around the PCIe slot instead of letting it auto choose what settings get applied

That's the one!
Hmm, and yeah I can't see any problem jump out, except that the PCIe spec is influenced by what kind of CPU you've got (3.0 for ivy bridge, 2.0 for sandy). If the BIOS is an old version (i.e before Ivy Bridge came out) it might be getting confused and trying to use 3.0 with a sandy bridge cpu? Just a guess

But yep, I'd concur with a BIOS update. Either that OR as a first measure, go into your bios and see if you can manually set anything around the PCIe slot instead of letting it auto choose what settings get applied

already tried checking bios for the latter, according to CPU ID my Board is Sandy Bridge, Bios version P01-A1, and my CPU is Intel Core i3 2120 (also Sandy Bridge) 3.3GHz.

If I do end up needing to Flash my Bios, how hard is it? From what I've looked up thus far, if you mess it up your computer is basically unbootable, which I DEFINITELY don't need to have happen. :(

Your CPU (i3 2120) is sandy bridge, your motherboard isn't (it can only be *able* to support sandy bridge or ivy bridge, both names are just code names for a particular type of CPU)

Checking your bios version now against release dates, gimme 5 mins.

edit: oh have you checked this thread btw? https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526031/gtx-650-problems/ secure boot was giving some people problems there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom