NB cooling

apsoul

In Runtime
Howdy,
I am running an amd phenom x2 555 @ 4ghz 24/7 on a gigabyte 990fx-ud3 board. The cpu runs cool and quiet (no pun intended) at less than 10 degrees over ambient... the NB however seems to get quite hot... like to the point of skin contact for more than a few seconds would most certainly result in a burn. I don't have quantitative evidence to support this claim, but that is not the important part of my question. i currently have an old case fan (100mm maybe) freestanding on the back of my gpu blowing onto the NB. Not the safest solution, I know.

1. Does the gigabyte ud3 board have pushpin holes (or any other mounting hardware) for aftermarket nb coolers?
2. Does anybody know what the specs are of said mounting hardware?
3. Has anyone removed the stock heatsink on this board? how did that go?
4. Any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler if the board will accept them.
5. If thermal paste is required, and suggestions on that? I did just read an article on either tomshardware or anandtech reviewing thermal pastes, and a decent suggestion of adding 1 part thermal compound to 2 parts paste in order to get it to stick, but still remove when needed.

thanks again :)

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood you, but I do realize there are aftermarket chipset heatsinks. I am more concerned currently with the layout of the gigabyte motherboard, and the options on this board for mounting. Will it go on rather easily, or do i need thermal adhesive paste as opposed to thermal compound.

If I am misunderstanding, and the heatsink you linked to is a definite match to the gigabyte motherboard, then awesome and thank you for the help :)

It's fine. Most PCHs or VRMs run rather warm, and anything over 50c is going to be extremely hot to the touch. 50c is 122f and if you ever tried touching a door handle in the south in the summer you'll know that anything over 95f can get real hot if exposed to high amounts of heat. A normal temp for any PCH can be anywhere between 60 and 80c.
That being said, nothing to worry about.

Thanks Mguire, I know that the chances of my NB frying are relatively low but I would still like to cool it down if I can. In theory the hotter electronics get, the less efficient they are. The less efficient they are the more heat they produce. I also think the oc bug is starting to bite again and I believe part of the reason with this setup that I was able to achieve such a good oc (besides a lucky cpu... 4.5ghz on phenom x2 on air) is the fact that everything was running cold. I was in my garage on one of the coldest days of the year with the windows open and fans running. My family thought/thinks I'm crazy.
So back to my original question... is the ud3 board accepting of the standard aftermarket cooler?
I was thinking something along the lines of either of these:
deep cool tower
Thermalright tower

If you look at the specs for the Thermalright Tower, it does not list the AM3+ board or any AMD boards as being compatible for that cooler.
The Deep Cool tower states it's universal.... that's the best data you can get from them.

Thanks Mguire, I know that the chances of my NB frying are relatively low but I would still like to cool it down if I can. In theory the hotter electronics get, the less efficient they are. The less efficient they are the more heat they produce. I also think the oc bug is starting to bite again and I believe part of the reason with this setup that I was able to achieve such a good oc (besides a lucky cpu... 4.5ghz on phenom x2 on air) is the fact that everything was running cold. I was in my garage on one of the coldest days of the year with the windows open and fans running. My family thought/thinks I'm crazy.
So back to my original question... is the ud3 board accepting of the standard aftermarket cooler?
I was thinking something along the lines of either of these:
deep cool tower
Thermalright tower
Your NB on that board won't depict your clocking capabilities and much like Intel, it's an over glorified PCH. So back to what I was originally stating, it doesn't need additional cooling. If you want to clock higher, you need adequate cooling on your CPU, and at least some form of fan blowing on your VRM depending on how high you go (and chip). On newer boards, those are all that really matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom