8-Cores, feels like 2?

Shigu

Solid State Member
Hey all, first post here - I hope its in the right section etc kind of new to tech forums. Anywayyy! I've recently bought a Novatech Barebone Bundle with an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard and a AMD FX-8320 8-Core (Vishera) Socket 942 CPU and 8GbDD3 RAM.

My problem is that, regardless of the fact its 8 CPUs @ ~~3.5GHz, it feels not that much superior to my old 2.7 Duo-Core AMD CPU. Everything came to me "Pre-installed and configured" which according to their spec details is best performance pre-overclock.

I mainly got concerned that something was up earlier today when I was rendering a 5min Fraps Recording from an MMO game, while rendering in 1980x1080 HD my cpu usage hit 99% instantly, all 8 cores were maxed and my CPU temp shot up to 79 degree Celsius, now this is something that I STRUGGLED to do on my duo 2.7GHz, yet still now struggle on this.

Sorry for rambling. Is this normal, or am I dealing with a fault system? Any information would be great, and sorry again if it is in the wrong section.

Regards,

Shigu

Attachments

• DxDiag.doc
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
A good transcoding program is meant to utilize all of your CPU, or at least the most it can depending on the file types and program in question. So technically, yes 99% usage is good. It should transcode a 1080p FRAPS video much quicker than your old dual core.

Hey all, first post here - I hope its in the right section etc kind of new to tech forums. Anywayyy! I've recently bought a Novatech Barebone Bundle with an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard and a AMD FX-8320 8-Core (Vishera) Socket 942 CPU and 8GbDD3 RAM.

I mainly got concerned that something was up earlier today when I was rendering a 5min Fraps Recording from an MMO game, while rendering in 1980x1080 HD my cpu usage hit 99% instantly, all 8 cores were maxed and my CPU temp shot up to 79 degree Celsius, now this is something that I STRUGGLED to do on my duo 2.7GHz, yet still now struggle on this.

Maybe its me thinking incorrectly, but why not record at a lower resolution ?
Once your done recording from fraps use something lke aiseesoft converter.
Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper - Comparison
If I were you I would take those recorded videos and let the program resize it to your liking.
My fx4100 can do this within one hour with that kind of project you got.
If I'm correct, your 8 core should do this in under 1 hour or less. :)
Provided that the windows system resources are freed up and available for it to use.

His FX should do it in about 15 minutes or less rather if it's only a 5 minute video @ 30fps.

Thats the same thing I was thinking about when posting.
The only thing with that, is how big is the format ?
Let say I record from dawn of war II, for about 2 hours.
When I'm done, I probably ate up bout 30gb or 40gbs.
With the size he wants, his converter would have to break it down and piece it back up to the way he wants it.
With 8 cores going at it at 100% he might be done in less than 40 minutes.
Whenever I do this, my cpu takes a minium of 15 to 20 minutes depending on the codec and settings I want.

Reminds of the time, I nearly nuked my slot 1 750 p3, but It was mighty fast on on convertx using time critical. ;)

Back to getting back to this bed and cold medicene. x_x

5 minutes of 1080p 30fps raw FRAPS will be about 30GB, essentially double that for 60fps. If he uses Handbrake on the default profile reading from one drive and copying to another he should be able to convert the 30fps file down to about 1GB in about 15 minutes. I'm estimating this because it's about 8 minutes for me each time I do a video like that. My latest Sims3 video was 60fps and 100GB and it took me 23 minutes to complete the transcode.

5 minutes of 1080p 30fps raw FRAPS will be about 30GB, essentially double that for 60fps. If he uses Handbrake on the default profile reading from one drive and copying to another he should be able to convert the 30fps file down to about 1GB in about 15 minutes. I'm estimating this because it's about 8 minutes for me each time I do a video like that. My latest Sims3 video was 60fps and 100GB and it took me 23 minutes to complete the transcode.

I'd be highly interested if you did that with camtasia in the future and uploaded.
Next time you have video file of that size I challenge you to do that.
Not meant for trolling, but straight up benching. :)

For what? I use Handbrake to transcode my files, so if the output file of the recording software is an AVI it'll be about the same. All Handbrake does is compress the file and convert it to mp4. If Camtasia outputs in mp4 it'll be even quicker as that uses 100% of my CPU.

Thanks for all of the replies ^^, - yeah the time taken is pretty low, I'm doing a 6min video at the moment in Handbrake and its taken roughly 5mins, original was 16.5GB. Although, the one I was using when I hit 99% and 70 degrees was Aftereffects/SVP as I needed to mix some outtakes etc. But thanks for reassuring me that its normal for them to take as much CPU as they possibly can, I think it mainly worries me because I dont think I've had my MB/CPU temp higher than 45, so was worried it may overheat I guess!

Thanks for the help :D

FX chips run warm, so being in the 70 degree range is normal unless you have good aftermarket cooling.

Yea, the whole point of having more cores, ect is to utilize them for programs that can. The more usage, the faster something like that goes.

Back
Top Bottom