Default Issues with hard drives after recovery

Eamon Bayle

Solid State Member
Hello forumers ! This is my first post.
I'm quite desesperate by some issues that occurred today.

There's a problem with a computer with Windows 8.1 in it. This desktop computer have 3 hard drives in it.
The main disk, with a partition with a recovery (Win 7) and the operating system.
2nd disk of 1.5 Tb, back in Win 8, 400 Gb was free space.
3rd another one of 500 Gb, with 500 Gb of free space.

The problem is, after seeing that we cannot use Inventor 2012 in Windows 8 OS, we decided to format the computer via recovery manager to put it back to factory values. After this, the main disk has the Win 7, but now, the second disk is detected and accessible, but it says that the capacity is only 400 (the 400 that was free before).
And the 3rd is undetectable.

Using Speccy software, seems that the disks appears as connected and with the original size, but Windows 7 don't, and we are in fear to have lost all the data.

Anyone knows what happen here?

Thanks a lot !

Hello forumers ! This is my first post.
I'm quite desesperate by some issues that occurred today.

There's a problem with a computer with Windows 8.1 in it. This desktop computer have 3 hard drives in it.
The main disk, with a partition with a recovery (Win 7) and the operating system.
2nd disk of 1.5 Tb, back in Win 8, 400 Gb was free space.
3rd another one of 500 Gb, with 500 Gb of free space.

The problem is, after seeing that we cannot use Inventor 2012 in Windows 8 OS, we decided to format the computer via recovery manager to put it back to factory values. After this, the main disk has the Win 7, but now, the second disk is detected and accessible, but it says that the capacity is only 400 (the 400 that was free before).
And the 3rd is undetectable.

Using Speccy software, seems that the disks appears as connected and with the original size, but Windows 7 don't, and we are in fear to have lost all the data.

Anyone knows what happen here?

Thanks a lot !

I don't know if you can get your files back, but you could try recuva.
If the file sizes aren't that big it should be on the hdd platters and easy to get off.
Also the drive that is undetectable by windows, try doing a full reformat of the hard drive using windows 7 dvd disc.

Well we did a disk management

The new information is that, the 1,5 Tb is the one that is not recognized (second disk). We confused the third 500Gb disk with the second.
So third is recognized and empty as it was, but the 1,5 Tb is not. Is where all the data is.

Here's a screen attached.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
Well we did a disk management

The new information is that, the 1,5 Tb is the one that is not recognized (second disk). We confused the third 500Gb disk with the second.
So third is recognized and empty as it was, but the 1,5 Tb is not. Is where all the data is.

Here's a screen attached.

Thanks in advance!

Ok for disco1, you would need to use this first to repair the corrupted hard drive:
TestDisk - Partition Recovery and File Undelete
Next I recommend you use partition magic 8:
Partition Magic Windows 8 Software: Maintain Hard Disk Partition in Windows 8
Once you get the disk repaired, repartition that drive into two 500gb "partitions"/
One for workstation usagae, the other for system images of windows os or windows server.

You have a good chance of getting back the files if you can get any windows/linux to recognize it again in disk management.

We will try this today.

We got a copy of linux on a live USB pen drive, and this one detects all hard disks except the 1,5 TB.
1,5 TB HD is not even detected by the live distribution.... What can we do?

We will try this today.

We got a copy of linux on a live USB pen drive, and this one detects all hard disks except the 1,5 TB.
1,5 TB HD is not even detected by the live distribution.... What can we do?

Well if the live linux live distro won't detect it, if windows won't pick it up or even bios maybe having servere issues detecting it.
Its possible the drive may have died, if thats the case where are you located so I can find you some help ?
What type of hard drive is this and what model ?
Please use a phone camera with good resolution and take a picture and host it here.
If you need your data back, there are some professionals who can get your data back. :)
Problem is their quota for emergency data retrieval you may not like at all.
If you want to you could call the manuacturer of your hdd and have them rma the drive and see if they can retrieve data for you.

Choice is up to you, also I have a very good friend of mine on here who could help you out if he is willing to.

Well if the live linux live distro won't detect it, if windows won't pick it up or even bios maybe having servere issues detecting it.
Its possible the drive may have died, if thats the case where are you located so I can find you some help ?
What type of hard drive is this and what model ?
If the BIOS isn't detecting it then the drive is having major issues.

Like Mike said, what brand/model is the drive? I know there were some old SeaGate 1.5TB HDD's that had a firmware bug, where the drive couldn't be detected but would still spin up and run fine. They just needed a firmware flash on them. I know this because this happened to one of my drives; it was still under warranty so SeaGate backed all of my data up, upgraded the firmware, and then sent the drive back to me and kept my data backed up for 30 days in case the drive were to fail.

Problem is their quota for emergency data retrieval you may not like at all.
If you want to you could call the manuacturer of your hdd and have them rma the drive and see if they can retrieve data for you.

Just to add onto this:

Professional data recovery is usually around $500-$1000 for a drive, so if the data is that important... get ready to shell out some big bucks.

Back
Top Bottom