Buliding a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanM19SSM

In Runtime
Hey,
I need to know something about motherboards. What does the socket of the motherboard mean... What would I have to buy differant?
I have pretty much everything else down pat...
ZACH

I posted a question similiar to this about socket types. Browse either the second or third page to find it. People probably wont answer this post as I asked almost this same thing very recently.

AMD = socket A, socket 754, socket 939, socket 940 (940 is mainly server boards, 939 is better than 754, and so on) i dont know about intel bcuz i hate it and would never support it

AMD 0wn4g3 said:
AMD = socket A, socket 754, socket 939, socket 940 (940 is mainly server boards, 939 is better than 754, and so on) i dont know about intel bcuz i hate it and would never support it

Intel now has 3 different sockets for the P4, 2 of wich you will still find. The first is Socket 478 and the newest is Socket T (LGA 775).

Josh

Processors have pins that enter the motherboard when installed. All diffrent processors are diffrent in size and pin alinement varies, along with software to run these chips.

So motherboard company's must make these boards work with the processors. So they go by sockets. Each processor is designed diffrent so they apply new sockets. So all the socket components must match in order for the hardware to be built.

Like a car engine, is it possible to put a 454 head gasket on a 305..... Nope, so why try to put an Amd Athlon 3500 socket 939 on a Intel socket 478 board... just not possible.. I hope this helps you understand a little better : /

thought we were talking about building a pc, laptops are virtually impossible to do by urself unless ur a comp technician

Well a good gaming laptop will cost around 2400$+. Member you said good not manageable. Thing is better gear more juice sucking out of the battery.

Check out Alienware for a laptop. Just dont buy all the things you can install yourself, that you can get cheaper >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom