printer triggers my UPS power supply and shuts off the pc

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
printer was working fine its a brother laser printer HL-2240b

backup supply is back-UPS XS 900 by APC
every time it started up the lights would flicker in the room

and lately the UPS power supply would click but not cut power to my desktop

last 2 timesmy wife printed something the printer actually tripped the UPS box and my desktop shutdown

the house was built in 1982 we replaced the electrical panel when we moved in because other one rusted out. I don't belive theres a problem with electrical wires in the house.

anyone? this **** is corrupting the hell out of my PC i just did a fresh install of windows 2 months ago and now its running like **** again after these sudden shudowns

anyone? this **** is corrupting the hell out of my PC i just did a fresh install of windows 2 months ago and now its running like **** again after these sudden shudowns

Easy man, relax for abit, let me ask you somethngs ok ?

1.Why do you have this on a UPC backup supply ?

I read the voltages this thing puts out, but I would clearly just plug it into another wall and leave it by itself if it was optional to me.

2. which drivers are you using, original or updated ones from brothers website ?

3.Have you thought about opting in for a ethernet cable to router ? :)
If you know how to setup a print server on your windows 7 machine that would be much easier on your back.

I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe its time you a need better printer with better options. :/

If you have had multiple improper shutdowns by windows through the printer.
Use windows basic check disk to repair some errors or try this:
System Mechanic® - PC Tune-Up Software Experts – iolo Technologies
"the free edition of system mechanic is limited"
Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

Last edited:
the printer is connected to my wifes laptop its not even plugged in same outlet as my pc
its in the same room so its on same circuit.

i just dont know much about the backup supplies.

we had the electrical panel replaced so these punks kept shutting down the power when i was at work and thats why i had to reinstall everything first time.

and then we had some electrical problems on the street they were replacing the electrical poles so i instaled the battery just in case because the desktop is always on. its my security camera that records the parking lot 24/7.
its pretty much my office.

its just strange that it started doing it suddenly.

the printer would dim the lights which i think is normal for lazer printers i ve seen many do that.

but i dont know anything about the backup power operation. and does it need to be connected to the PC its supplying? it has the ethernet outlet

i have the desktop and one of the monitors plugged into the UPS outlets
its been working fine until last week where it started to shut down the pc suddenly when printer kicks in.

the printer is new we bought it last year and dont really use it too often just to print some documents no heavy printing

thanks for the suggestions ill try to run some diagnostics.

i do run defrag on schedule every month for all disks
my system disk is SSD and i run the disk check once every few months also
but theres no effect on after its ran.
the pc just becomes slow
i dont know if i have defective hardware that reveals itself after improper shutdown or corrupted ram stick or something .im becoming a bit lame with the pc stuff lol. when you have a kid and work and maintaining 3 cars i dont have that much time to spend on fixing the pc anymore

Last edited:
the printer would dim the lights which i think is normal for lazer printers i ve seen many do that.

I seriously do not believe that a laser printer is supposed to do that. If it's still under warranty, take it back.

I seriously do not believe that a laser printer is supposed to do that. If it's still under warranty, take it back.

I agree with joes statement, if I'm mistaken his printer should have a 2 year warrenty service once he registers it.

@Raver: not a problem, but by looking at your last post sounds like you got some major power issues. :p
Best thing I can recommend until you get your printer fixed, keep the thing off when you really don't need it all day.
Windows 7 shouldn't have a problem picking up your printer quickly and letting you print while the os is active daily.
Make note when you power it on and off to print, if windows is having issues picking up the printer and using it correctly.

I had a city bus driver pal tell me about his brother printer problems.
Never seen the old man swear against it so hard. o0

Brother International - Online Email Support System

Printer Customer Service 7777 North Brother Blvd.
Bartlett, Tennessee 38133
1-877-BROTHER (877-276-8437)
901-379-1215 (fax)
M-F, 9:00am to 8:00pm Eastern Time

did some research and turns out the back up supply has some demons. poor design so its not the printer i think.

im gonna disconnect the UPS and see what happends

wtf now i got a COM surrogate stopped working error esent.dll

my wife turned on the printer and the UPS clicked and turned off for about a second then came back and PC started up again

it dims the lights but the desktop stays on when plugged into the wall bypassing the UPS...

i followed this page but havent got any results.

is there a recovery option on windows 7 installation disk to reinstall system files without reinstalling windows?

wtf now i got a COM surrogate stopped working error esent.dll

my wife turned on the printer and the UPS clicked and turned off for about a second then came back and PC started up again

it dims the lights but the desktop stays on when plugged into the wall bypassing the UPS...

i followed this page but havent got any results.

is there a recovery option on windows 7 installation disk to reinstall system files without reinstalling windows?

From command prompt type: sfc /scannow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom