Motherboard and case replacement.

mike37130

Beta member
The motherboard on my computer has a issue that requires me to replace. Unfortunately the warranty on this board has run out. My friend built this computer for me last year but unfortunately he has passed away. So I will be doing this repair myself. I have never replaced a motherboard before so I wanted to check with you all and make sure I'm getting the right part. Also any tips you have will be very helpful.

The type of processor I will be using is a Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz. The ram is DDR3 1333

The new motherboard that I am planing on getting is a ASRock Z77 Extreme4. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Will that board work with my processor?

What motherboard model is the old one? Most P67 boards actually came with a 2 or 3 year warranty.

Quick answer, yes that board is fine and will work.

It is a ASROCK P67 PRO3 SE

but he did not give me the paper work needed for a return back then and I don't want to bother his family with it. So I don't have any problem just replacing it. Thank you for your help.!

Yes, and that is a good processor btw. Make sure you pick up some thermal paste if you haven't got any. You will need this for your processor.

Yes, and that is a good processor btw. Make sure you pick up some thermal paste if you haven't got any. You will need this for your processor.

Do I have to do that? That processor is the one I am using in my current board and it has the stock fan on it. I don't have to take the fan off when I do the swap do I ?

When you swap motherboards, everything has to come off/out of it and into the new one. That requires taking the stock fan off, cleaning the paste off of it and the CPU, taking the CPU out, and putting it all back into the new board with new paste.

I don't know, I've used stock fans but it really depends on the case and the board.
In this case, it's crucial you don't post misinformation so the guy doesn't screw up his hardware. When you replace a motherboard, the CPU and cooling comes off to be put on the new board. Period. When you do this, it requires new paste. You cannot reuse the old paste.

In this case, it's crucial you don't post misinformation so the guy doesn't screw up his hardware. When you replace a motherboard, the CPU and cooling comes off to be put on the new board. Period. When you do this, it requires new paste. You cannot reuse the old paste.

I never said to reuse the paste. I'm just saying I have in the past used the same processor FAN for other systems. FANs do not require thermal paste to operate. Just space and a certain electrical plug for the mobo. But yes never reuse thermal paste.

Back
Top Bottom