please help c: and d:

Status
Not open for further replies.

distillatruant

Beta member
recently my computer crsahed and i had to call out somebody to fix it. He installed windows 98, but it seems to not be operating properly as when i go to Start>programmes>accessories there is nothing in the menu where as usually there would be calculator, paint etc.

My main problem is the fact that the space on my drive is under to things: The C: with 4.87GB capacity and the D: with a 7.82GB capacity. Everything i download goes into the C: and this space is being used up rather quickly, and i want to be able to combine these drives, making it just the C: so all 12GB of space is on that. Can anyone please tell me how to do this?

I have tried to reinstall windows 98 from the startup disc, but it wont allow it because it says some other operating system is installed on my computer, and that i need a windows update disc.

I am not very computer litterate, so if someone could explain how to do this in the simplest of terms, it would be much appreciated.

Search google for partitioning a hard drive. Its as easy as couple clicks of mouse if you have a good program like Partition Magic but unofrtunately its not free. You should look for some partitioning programs on www.download.com.

Im not sure about combining the drives but when you try to install windows from the startup disk with windows still on it will not let you enless its a update.If you want to start over and dont mind losing your existing data re format both disks then reinstall windows on one of them and after your up and runing just direct your downloaded or installed stuff to the other drive you still have 12 GB and the drive with windows on it stays clearer.

you will

definately have to reformat and unpartition the hdd, just like microbell said (hes so smart) cuz i work with partitions all day, we have dual boot machines here

i dont think

i dont think you can join partitions, i know we were not able to with our ver of partition magic (made by powerquest right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom