laptop batery

I do not mean to hijack this thread. but I also need to replace the battery in my laptop. my question is about how many cells. being a mechanic all of my life. I have been used to lead/acid type of batteries. with that type of battery, each cell makes 2.2 volts. so on laptop batteries, does this hold true as well? will a 9 cell battery make more voltage than a 6 cell battery? and if it does, will the extra voltage harm my computer? also, does anyone make a plug in charge cord to use in an automobile? to charge a laptop from the cars charging system? I have a Dell Precision M90.

I do not mean to hijack this thread. but I also need to replace the battery in my laptop. my question is about how many cells. being a mechanic all of my life. I have been used to lead/acid type of batteries. with that type of battery, each cell makes 2.2 volts. so on laptop batteries, does this hold true as well? will a 9 cell battery make more voltage than a 6 cell battery? and if it does, will the extra voltage harm my computer? also, does anyone make a plug in charge cord to use in an automobile? to charge a laptop from the cars charging system? I have a Dell Precision M90.

More cells means more capacity, or milliamp-hours (mAh). This means a longer lasting charge, not necessarily more voltage. It will not harm your computer in any way.

As far as charging in a car, buy an inverter large enough to handle the laptop's wattage. Check on your power brick to see what the wattage is, then go to an electronics store and find an inverter that is larger wattage than the power brick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Or just get a back up PC and switch back and forth until you can figure what the problem is, to fix it. I shop at Best Buys stores. They have all the answers for a fee.

Uh... what? he's talking about a new higher capacity battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

carnageX, thanks! that helps a lot. ddsphon, I just got this one, it is my "back up" for my home computer, and I have been waiting for 4 years to get this. it will be a month or two just to get another battery.

Back
Top Bottom