obnoxious beeping from motherboard

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey all, been a while since ive been around

i have a rig on loan fro ma family member, and its starting to act up in an odd way. Now, i havent quite pin-pointed it, but it seems like when i put a load on the CPU, i get a beeping noise from the mobo speaker, but there is not any discernible pattern to it, sometimes its a beep and silence, beeping again at random intervals, and sometimes it is a constant beeping.
I have noticed it with more and more things... it started while trying to play more intensive games, Crysis being the first one i noticed it with, at first in game only and now sitting at the title menu, and the next one was endless space. now, too many tabs open in a web browser will do it.

Voltages seem to be where they should be. Havent gotten any temp readings yet. i have tried dedicating the programs to certain cores, and that doesnt work at all.

Any ideas?

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P (not sure on revision)
3 gigs of G.Skill DDR3 ram
XFX ATI Radeon HD4550
Western Digital 160gb hdd
Western Digital 500gb hdd

Thanks paton. Hey funny enough i asked you about the folding@home a while back, Thats initially when i encountered the beeping not in a game.

I shall when i get home, my girlfriend is taking me out for my birthday lol.

On temps, i havent had a problem with them before but it wont hurt to check. Also, thinking about updating the bios.

i disabled my onboard GPU, which for some reason i had not done before, still no difference.

ill check the heat situation in a little bit, but i cant see how that would be it as it starts beeping almost as soon as the opening video for crysis starts..

and ive never heard coil whine that sounds like a CMOS beep code lol but ok. its very strange.. anything else i should check while im at it? i probly wont be able to test all this till later, ive packing to do and plans.

im gonna pull the ram sticks one at a time to see if that does anything as well.

I don't see a built in speaker on that board*, so if you have one plugged in, just unplug it. You don't really need it, and if it continues after unplugging the speaker then it isn't speaker beeping.
You have to understand that while dealing with people and IT for so long, I don't take what most people say literally on noises because they don't describe them right. I'm not saying you aren't, it's just that I take what I'm being told and put logical sense to it. For instance, a board not having a built in speaker (from what I could tell) making beeping noises doesn't make sense. But a cheap board known to make coil whine and buzz with an X6 does make sense.

*They had only 3 revisions on their site to look at.

I had looked for a speaker as well but didnt see one, and i either have revision 4 or 5. So if this is coil whine/buzz then (making a guess) i cant really do much about it?

And i do the same thing, people cant describe stuff properly, so i dont blame you :p

I just appreciate the help/input

No there isn't, and it really isn't that big of a deal because GB products are known for it. The 4+1 phase is good enough to push it full load, I just wouldn't OC at all.

Didnt have plans for an oc.

But i cant push this rig AT ALL, like it seems like 35% load and above it whines.. Playing with voltage control wouldnt help at all..?

I can play most of my games no problem, btw.

Didnt have plans for an oc.

But i cant push this rig AT ALL, like it seems like 35% load and above it whines.. Playing with voltage control wouldnt help at all..?

I can play most of my games no problem, btw.
You can do 100% easy, it'll just be noisy if it is indeed coil whine/buzz.
No playing with volts won't really help just like it doesn't really help on GPUs either.

If it games fine, I would do your best to just ignore it. Maybe use some headphones.

Back
Top Bottom