Monitor And Video Card Issues

Frostblooded

Solid State Member
Hello, everyone! I want to ask about several things which I have had trouble with in the recent past.
1) I bought a video card a couple of weeks ago and when I run games, it starts to show white lines flickering. After a while, I noticed that when I open the ingame map or some window, it stops... mostly, so I am starting to thing that this lines appear when the video card is running something heavy. Any idea why this could be happening?
2) I bought a new monitor a couple of days ago. It has two problems which may be related to the previous one, but I am not sure.
First of all, the HDMI cable doesn't send any signal to the monitor, so I can't use an HDMI cable.
Second of all, when I go full HD (1920x1080), some of the text and lines on the monitor start flickering.

P.S. I am not all that good with hardware, so please try to explain as good as you can.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

My graphics card is pretty good in my opinion: AMD Radeon HD 7800
About my power supply... at first I thought that it may be the problem, but as time went on, it seems like this idea was left behind. It is about 5-6 years old and it's voltage was... I'm not sure, but either 400W or 440W. The thing that I know for sure is that when some guys installed my video card, they said that the power supply will probably be at its limit, but won't interfere.

Edit: The power supply is the only thing I haven't upgraded since I got the computer 5-6 years ago.

Last edited:
Well, seeing as AMD recommends "500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector", I would say you should definitely put it at the top of your suspects list.

I went to some professionals who checked everything and said that a wire was off somewhere and one of the fans wasn't working, but now it's ok. When I go full hd I still get 30hz only. They said that I probably need some drivers for the monitor to fix this, but I have no idea where to get them. Btw, when I go into a game there still seem to be some lines that are on the screen, but they are much easier to ignore now, so I guess it's been fixed.. after all, I don't think anyone has full hd crystal clear image.

No it has not been fixed. If your PSU is not a high enough wattage it is not sending enough power to your GPU while under full load causing it to be unstable. An unstable graphics card or CPU can cause artifacts and tearing on your screen.

Please take note that this can kill your GPU, and practically anything else in your machine being undervolted.
I don't know who these "professionals" are, but they seem inadequate to tell you the right thing if they completely ignored your lines and didn't even test to see if the problem was fixed.

Let's get the full specs of your machine. Need model numbers, CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, GPU (7850 or 7870, not just 7800), and the monitor model in question. If your PSU isn't 500w or greater that is now your #1 issue.

Thank you! Those guys said that they didn't see any of those flickering lines, but I tested this with many monitors, so it must be from the computer. The video card is 7850. Intel Core i3-2100 CPU 3.10GHz. 4GB RAM. Not sure where to check the motherboard, but needless to say it is Intel. The monitor is LG E2290. Now that I think about it. Can the problem come from the cable connecting the PC to the monitor.

Depends on what you mean by flickering, but odds have it your cable and monitor are fine.

Go ahead and do some testing for me so we can get temps out of the way.
Download MSI Afterburner and install it. It will come with a program called MSI Kombustor, install that too. Run Kombustor and do the stress test, let me know what your GPU load temp is.

While this is running, put your hand near the exhaust (usually back) of your PSU and let me know if it gets hot. I really need the model of your PSU to make a firm opinion of the situation though.

My model is LG if that's what you mean, but I have changed all the parts except the power supply. I ran the test and the load stays at 97-99%,but the exhasut seems to be the right temperature. Interestingly enough, if I look carefully I can see some... invisible small lines going up and down, but they aren't all that noticeable(I am talking about the test.

Back
Top Bottom