Combing Two Computers

The Jester

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

Alright, so I have a little dilemma, so I'm trying to get some support from anybody I can. I'll cut to the chase with what I need help with. I know a bit about computers, but I am not nearly as educated as I'm sure many of you are, so please be patient with me, I'm a fast learner, and if you need more information from me/have an idea of what I can do, please let me know.

Right now I have two computers, and I want to combine them to make one superior computer. One computer has very superior hardware, but the other one has everything I've worked on for years on it. To make this easier to read, the computer with better hardware will be Computer #1 and the computer with everything I have everything on will be Computer #2.

So, Computer #1 has:
-Windows 7 (64 bit)
-16GB Ram
-Radeon 7970
-Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H Motherboard
-Not sure how much memory is currently on it

Computer #2 has:
-Windows Vista (64 bit)
-8GB Ram
-Radeon 7870 GHz Edition
-Pegatron Corporation Benicia Motherboard
-1TB Hardrive

That's to name a few things for each of them. Basically what I want to do is to put all the work from #2 onto #1 with as little change to #1 as possible. I built #2 a while back, so I know how to put parts together, but I don't know some of the more "in depth" details. Can I literally just take the hard drive out from #2 and throw it in #1? If I can't, what would be the easiest way to move all my work from #2 into #1? One of the main issues I've been questioning is the fact that #2 is using Vista, while #1 is using 7.

I really appreciate the help guys, everything I just wrote was a bit of a mess, so if you need me to clarify anything/need more information/etc. just let me know, I understand that some of this may have not made a lot of sense, and that I probably left out some pretty crucial information. If that is the case, let me know and I will respond ASAP.

Thanks guys!

You can network the both together, and get access to each pc's files. I'm sure you can do more

Well, that would be a start. But I want all of my #2 work onto #1, which includes gaming stuff, pictures, videos, etc. etc... So if possible, would I be able to put the hard drive from #2 into #1? Because that would not only put all the work onto #1, but I would also have a second hard drive. I want to move everything from #2 onto #1. Something I should've mentioned is that, if possible, I'd like to have the hard drive from #2 onto #1 as well.

If both computers were running the same OS, it would be a different story. Thing is, you don't want to use your slower OS on the newer machine. Which that's what would happen (if it didn't BSOD on you) if you used HDD 2 on PC 1.

Basically all I can really say is, reinstall your programs to PC 1, then transfer files over. You can put HDD #2 in PC #1 but the boot loader of Vista might screw with 7, so best not to take that chance.

There may be a way to make one a server and use sql to run one software program on the other but I'm not that knowledgeable on that subject, Someone else will need to explain that to you

If both computers were running the same OS, it would be a different story. Thing is, you don't want to use your slower OS on the newer machine. Which that's what would happen (if it didn't BSOD on you) if you used HDD 2 on PC 1.

Basically all I can really say is, reinstall your programs to PC 1, then transfer files over. You can put HDD #2 in PC #1 but the boot loader of Vista might screw with 7, so best not to take that chance.

I figured just putting in the HDD from #2 to #1 would be problematic. But, yes, of course, I do want to keep Windows 7 on #1. What exactly do you mean by reinstalling my programs to #1? What programs specifically And also, how would you recommend I go about transferring the files? By the previously mentioned networking? Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate the help, I definitely need it.

Last edited:
Reinstalling any programs you have on PC2 that you would want on PC1.

Easiest way is by putting the drive in the machine, but you absolutely have to boot to Windows 7 or specifically the Windows 7 drive either from the bios or the motherboard boot menu.

By putting the drive in the machine, I mean HDD2 into PC1.

Reinstalling any programs you have on PC2 that you would want on PC1.

Easiest way is by putting the drive in the machine, but you absolutely have to boot to Windows 7 or specifically the Windows 7 drive either from the bios or the motherboard boot menu.

By putting the drive in the machine, I mean HDD2 into PC1.

I appreciate the caveman speak, I know it can be frustrating. So, I guess I'd just go through and reinstall my most used programs. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't reinstall some programs, correct? Like, if I got some program years ago to open something and haven't used it since, its not like it'd get in the way? I have no idea why it would, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure I suppose. So, after I've installed the programs that I feel are most necessary, I put the HDD from #2 into #1. Then I boot up the computer, and make sure I boot the original HDD from #1. After that, I can access the files from #2. After this, would I need to copy all the files from #2's HDD to #1's HDD? Or could I keep the HDD from #2 in #1 indefinitely without any risk?

If you don't use the program, then no you don't have to reinstall it. I suppose if another program depended on it, you'll find out soon enough. Otherwise, install what you need.

Once you copy over the noninstalled files (music, documents, saves, stuff like that) you can go ahead and format HDD2 and use it as additional storage or take it back out of the computer and have 2 separate machines. That's up to you.

Just to be clear, do not transfer installed programs hoping they work. It could wind up being a mess later.

If you don't use the program, then no you don't have to reinstall it. I suppose if another program depended on it, you'll find out soon enough. Otherwise, install what you need.

Once you copy over the noninstalled files (music, documents, saves, stuff like that) you can go ahead and format HDD2 and use it as additional storage or take it back out of the computer and have 2 separate machines. That's up to you.

Just to be clear, do not transfer installed programs hoping they work. It could wind up being a mess later.

Alright, so, and I'm sorry to do this, I just want to make sure I don't mess up anything badly, so bear with me:

1. Start up #1 and install most important programs.
2. Get the HDD from #2 and put it into #1.
3. Boot up #1 and boot with the original HDD from #1.
4. Move files from #2's HDD to #1's HDD.
5. Reformat #2's HDD and use it as a secondary storage.

Would this summarize it correctly?

Back
Top Bottom