Video Card vs Video Card

morph1

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I just built my new system , now I have been thinking about a decent GPU,
I have had in the past GeForce cards and Radeon Cards, both cards were great and served me well., I have been looking at the new PCIE 3 cards and I came to a conclusion that GeForce cards are way overpriced.., why is that ?,
I can get almost same spec GPU by Radeon as by GeForce but for the half the cost, I am looking at Asus Radeon 7970 with 3 GB DDR 5 Memory with rates of 264 GB/S for $330 where I can get a card that slightly faster by GeForce for over $600.., where is the sense of it ?? what does make GeForce cards so pricy ?, I have been using my HD4970 Radeon 1GB DDR5 for about 4 years now, never had a problem with that card and it performed well , it is time to replace that card as my new system utilizes PCIE 3 and I won't mind well actually I need more video memory, so here we go I am making my plans which route to take , go with Geforce and spend double the money or go with Radeon have same results and save 300 bucks ...., I do 3d and video rendering , lots of graphic design, so video processing and stability is very important to me , I want to use my comp to generate money out of my work and have a bit of entertainment by playing some cool games, last thing I wanna do is sit there a brag as how expensive my GPU is and hardly draw any use out of it....

any input would be appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited:
A 600 dollar Geforce would essentially make me think you mean the GTX 780? If so, the 780 completely dominates the 7970 in every way.

The 7970GHz competes with the GTX 770 which are priced similarly and trade blows depending on who paid off what developer to have their name in the creds.
On the flip side, you're looking at the cards right at the wrong time actually. AMD is releasing new cards, and the price wars have begun, and the best time to look at cards is when the dust settles.

The new R series cards just dropped (minus the R9 290x which will be AMDs 600 dollar card, competing with the already year and a half old 780) and thus Nvidia will lower their prices until they release something new to compete with AMDs new silicon.
Take note!

The R9 280x and below are rebranded cards. The R9 280x is a 7970GHz in full rebrand spec, the R9 270x is 7870XT on steroids (essentially a 7950), and the R7 260x is a hopped up 7790. These will have lower prices than their former 7000 series, as the R9 280x is a 300 dollar card seen here. That is why Nvidia will be lowering their prices.

So realistically, with that very recent release and no price drops yet, we are looking at 300 dollar card which was just rebranded to be competitive, vs the 400 dollar card which hasn't been lowered yet to compensate. Honestly, the only overpriced video card in existence that isn't EOL right now is the Geforce Titan.

As to what you should buy, that depends entirely on your budget and what your productivity suites can utilize. Some only support AMD, others only support Nvidia, while some support both at the same time. Getting either an R9 280x or GTX 770 will grant you similar performance in games, but if you really want to make money, time is money and there isn't a reason to buy based on who is who. Get what your programs support and realize that IMO if you're that serious about it you should be buying a pro card (Firepro/Quadro) rather than a consumer card.

Nah, I'll stay with a non-workstation card, they don't match with the transfer rates of the new gaming cards , they are way over priced , they don't sell , even the new ones are PCIE2 and the good quadro cards are way over my budget... they used to be hype 4 - 5 years ago, current days I believe they are totally unnecessary...
My budget is 400 dollars and I have to choose between Geforce and Radeon,
I already spent quite a bit of dollars to upgrade where I'm at now, most of my cards were Radeon, that is the reason I am asking if I will be making a right choice going again with Radeon over Geforce, I am sure both cards are great, all of my applications can use either one... I am doing some more research as we speak and any input / suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks !

Nah, I'll stay with a non-workstation card, they don't match with the transfer rates of the new gaming cards , they are way over priced , they don't sell , even the new ones are PCIE2 and the good quadro cards are way over my budget... they used to be hype 4 - 5 years ago, current days I believe they are totally unnecessary...
My budget is 400 dollars and I have to choose between Geforce and Radeon,
I already spent quite a bit of dollars to upgrade where I'm at now, most of my cards were Radeon, that is the reason I am asking if I will be making a right choice going again with Radeon over Geforce, I am sure both cards are great, all of my applications can use either one... I am doing some more research as we speak and any input / suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks !

All of the cards PP has been talking about ARE non-workstation cards.
This.

And, you need to do more research. The fastest single GPU consumer graphics card on the market is the Geforce Titan, which is based off the current fastest professional card on the market, the Tesla K20. The Titan is a cut down K20, meaning for compute operations the K20 will be faster, period.

You need to get your eyes off the numbers and start realizing why these cards are set aside from the others besides their enterprise price. Like I said before, paper specs don't say **** about a graphics card, whether it be consumer or professional. You cannot sit there and look at a GCN based Radeon with 2048 Stream processors and say "oh, that's only slightly less than 2304 Cuda cores. That must be pretty close". It doesn't work that way at all, just like pure tflop numbers don't compare either. You can't directly compare single and double point float precision between Nvidia and AMD either, much like you can't compare consumer based GPUs on how much VRAM they have.
Not only that, other features for actual professionals are enabled in the pro cards vs consumers, which also sets aside who gets what, like Directpath for VMs.

Besides all that, everything mentioned in my previous post was nothing but consumer cards. Not once was I telling you to get a professional card besides stating my opinion that if you're that serious, you probably should. That being said, I'm not telling you what side to chose either, as I previously said a few times it's rather close depending on what cards you are comparing. Just posting to set aside some actual facts because the things you were saying in your first post did not add up at all.

For 300 dollars if that's what you're willing to spend, your best bet is an R9 280x. If I didn't really make that clear.

Back
Top Bottom