PSU with new Asus p9x79

morph1

Solid State Member
Hi all, first post on here,

I am just wondering about my PSU, it comes from an older built and was powering socket 775 quad core , power supply Cooler Master 550 ..., I just assembled my p9x79 with intel I7 4930k cpu, I aslso got an ok older model radeon hd 4890 GPU that I pulled out of mine old asus p5q with the quad core cpu, well I assembled my new rig everything seem ok but my question is besides the 24 pin power connector to my motherboard there is also an 8 pin plug receiver on the motherboard above the cpu , the psu comes with extra 4 prong plug that I also had connected on my p5q board, I connected the new 8 pin plug with just the 4 prong cable connecting it to the right of the 8 prong receiver on the new motherboard, what is the 8 prong receiver there for ? do I need a new power supply or is the one I currently have ok ?
The new computer is working great and I do not have any issues what so ever...
any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Well, the 8pin is there to provide more clean power. On older setups you could easily get away with this, although on here I wouldn't attempt possibly harming a 500 dollar CPU with a cheap PSU.

My educated opinion, you should replace it. Although 550w is fine, you want proper power going to that CPU. And these 2011 CPUs do suck the juice.

thanks man, I was gonna invest and get a new 650 psu and hopefully soon enough get a new decent video card, I do a lot of 3dmax work , rendering and video presentation and in general lots of graphic design as this is my job,
this new built is very impressive , I got a say finally my pc has to wait for me and not me waiting for my pc lol

Yea, I had a hunch because most whine about the cost of the 2011 CPUs, and the gamers initially say they want a hardcore gaming rig.
That being said, I knew if you hammered that CPU you could potentially fry or melt that small 4pin.

A good PSU would be a Seasonic s1211 620w, or Corsair TX650. You could also get a Seasonic Gold 550w. Either would be plenty for your setup.

Another solid idea would be an SSD if you don't already have one.

I just have one more question, anyone out there with asus p9x79 what does your cpu fan reads in computer idle as per RPM in silent mode, I have noticed my cpu fan starts low
and then speeds up to about 700 rpm, I heard other users their fan goes at 1200 rpm ??
I am just wondering if I may have some issues here, the cpu temp at idle is about 29-32 c
so far everything seems good and working great, the only thing that worries me is the cpu fan slow reaction

Fan thing isn't a big deal, as it's just the bios adjusting the fan for temps when your CPU gets loaded. If you want it to stay at a constant speed then just plug it directly to the PSU with an adapter.
I'm one of I think only 3 people on these boards that has a 2011 setup and I'm running an ASRock Extreme 6 so can't really help you with your board besides what I can Google up.

got ya, thanks,

I will leave it as it is for now as I know my case is very well vented and cooled and the temps are good,
I am just trying to determine whether there maybe a problem with my motherboard..., I understand the bios fan control settings.., but I think the settings should be more responsive, example my radeon HD video card I can tweak the fan speed in windows display tab and I can see the settings effect right away, I can also hear the difference in sound lol, where the cpu fan simply crawls upon setting change from silent to turbo in bios, I think it should be way more responsive...
In the mean time I'll watch the cpu / fan monitor...

It isn't going to be, because it does the same thing on pretty much all boards. CPU fans are meant to slow roll up to not be annoying, which is why most gamers typically wire to the PSU or have a fan controller. The only way you can just make it go from dead slow to 100% in an instant is by using the software they give and ramping it up manually. Otherwise, it's just doing what it's supposed to do.

Even when I simply hammer my CPU to 4.4, you can hear my Scythe Kaze slowly mozy its way on up. It's because researchers (ha) have found that a noise is more inconspicuous when it's a gradual ascend. Rather than a sharp jolt in db levels. In other words, harder to notice.

Back
Top Bottom