High end gaming computer and random framerate issues.

If the heatsink paste is dry or the mount has come loose in any way it can cause CPU temps to rise. Doesn't matter the amount of cooling you may in your case because the CPU may not be making proper contact with the heatsink. I suggest buying a tube of thermal paste (MX-4, AS5, TX-2, whatever) and take the heatsink off, clean it, and repaste.

I can't exactly take the heat sink off from what I'm looking at. It has tips where it latches onto the motherboard permanently. One corner did break accidentally when it fell off of my desk but it hadn't proved any difficulty since then.

THey aren't permanent. You turn them and pull up. If one side is broken off, then indeed it is a problem. More than likely what happened is the paste held the center of the heatsink to the IHS until it dried and the suction let go causing improper contact and your CPU to start overheating. If that's the case, you're going to need to buy something else to use.

Cheapest solution to put on a 3570k is the Cooler Master 212 EVO at about 26 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom