High end gaming computer and random framerate issues.

Octopicake

Solid State Member
Last year I built my very first PC and it was just magnificent until recently. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this issue, but as of late every game I seem to try playing the framerates go berserk. Normally they used to stay at 80 or so, but now they've been incredibly faulty. I discovered this when I started playing Smite, but I repaired that program in hopes that maybe it was that causing the issue but no such luck. I also updated my AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series but to no avail the strange frequent drops keep happening. I dusted out my computer the best I could, ran a harddrive stress test on my D drive and it came out fine. I can't seem to scan my C drive (Samsung SSD 840 Series) even though I can look through the drive's files just fine. I still have plenty of RAM, and the usage is only 20%, I believe my fan is also running at 20%.

Most of my games are installed on D, and all games (Even on C) seem to have this stutter problem. All of them used to run at 80 but now they seem to drop from 70 to 29 at most. I can supply more info about my computer, probably going to try dusting it off again. Everything else (videos, music, internet.) run fine, the one thing that does concern me though is League of Legends, which seems to suffer less issues but the framerate apparently goes up and down but visually it looks fine without stutter.

LoL is highly optimized for an extremely wied range of hardware, so that's probably why you aren't seeing any problems.

Those FPS issues can be a wide range of issues so for starters I'll say this. HDD/SSD doesn't affect FPS and if you run any kind of HDD program on an SSD you can kill it or damage it reducing its performance and life. Defrag, stress, ect. Don't do it.

Next, let's get your full system specs.

Finally, get some monitoring programs and let's check the temps of both your CPU and GPU.
Coretemp
MSI Afterburner

Use Coretemp to monitor the CPU, and MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU. All you need to concern yourself is with the load temps. You can run a benchmark or preferrably any game in question to load these up and check the load temps.

Okay, big wall of text incoming!

Operating System Windows 8 Pro Professional 6.2.9200
Date 2013-10-12
Time 11:32

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Windows 8 Pro Professional
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name OCTOPUSBOX
User Name Octopi

Motherboard:
CPU Type 4x , 3400 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 8132 MB
BIOS Type Unknown
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Monitor NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX [19" LCD] (58121142YA)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 840 Series (111 GB)
Disk Drive ST31000524AS (931 GB)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 113944 MB (36746 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 953866 MB (898058 MB free)
Total Size 1042.8 GB (912.9 GB free)

e0otX0O.png

J0GBtef.png

Core temps seem to be in a yellow, around 90-100.

I should be concerned with this shouldn't I?

I posted my specs, but it has to be approved by the mods since it's a big post. Load is around 41% as well.

All I need is a simple type out.

Intel/AMD blah
so and so mobo
this much RAM
this GPU
this PSU
this case
this cooling/whatever.

And yes, if you're reaching those temps on your CPU you have a major problem.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't be reaching those temperatures since when I last checked everything was pretty optimal. It only raises when I play a game then after closing it a few minutes later it goes back to 60/70.

Where would I find that information to give you? I know it soudns a bit silly, but all I can really find is my processor which is Intel Core i-3570k and my graphics card, 7.94 GB of Ram.

I'm guessing this machine was prebuilt?

A 3570k with the stock cooler can reach temps of 70c, but you should be idling around 40c when nothing is going on. Anything over 80 is dangerous territory for a CPU.

Negative, the machine wasn't prebuilt. I was guided through buying parts and building it by a friend. My CPU should be

SI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

and my GPU (Unless im confusing it for something else) is

SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Also looks like my post went through with specs and screenshots!

THose screenshots do not show load temps on either the CPU or GPU, but what is your CPU cooling?

Stock?

Your issue here is your CPU is running too hot.

That's awfully weird, I have plenty of fans inside. One on bottom underneath the PSU, one in front back top and one over the brain of the computer.

I guess my CPU is cooling stock, nothing is running other than messengers, and google chrome. Everything is down to 65+ according to the Core Temp. GPU Loading temp was around 40+ when I look back at it from alt tabbing but it quickly goes back down when I look. I only have a split second to find it. If overheating is the problem but all the fans are working should I try dusting it out again? I just did it this morning, seemed to gotten a little better but the one over my processor does have a bit of dust in it but I can't seem to get it out. When I take the canned air to it seems to only get a little bit out at a time.

Back
Top Bottom