Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - My First Build

Click Here to Login
Thread: My First Build
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
PP Mguire
Build Guru

Default Re: My First Build

First question:
eVGA is one of (if not the) best Nvidia partners. They have top notch CS and RMA.

Second question:
A good SSD to start out with would be the 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX or 128GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Third question:
I already answered. Get one of those, as either is fine.

Fourth question:
I'll answer out of order. Honestly, one good card is better than multi-GPU due to software and driver scaling not being perfect but 2 760s would give you good enough performance and over Titan level for only 600 bucks. That being said, you won't need more than the two PSUs I linked in wattage for 2 cards, and I highly recommend against more than 2 cards.

As for a case, that's really up to you. I prefer cases by Corsair. The 750D is only 20 bucks more and is an exceptional case with a ton of potential for expansion either in cooling, hardware, or HDDs. With the setup linked out above, the 750d doesn't even really need new fans.

Fans are a different ballpark because cheap fans suck and good fans are expensive. You need a good balance between static pressure and airflow. For complete silence, Noctua make some of the best fans in the market, but in your case (figuratively) a better fan would be the Scythe Gentle Typhoon (1850RPM). Decking a case like the 750d out with fans like that is extremely costly though.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.