Bad Videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seCuredData

Baseband Member
I probabally had a melt-down from heat :/. Problem started last night when I would minimize out of DirectX games, I would get weird colors and shapes before it minimized to windows, now when I start up even in bios theres slashes across the screen and smeared areas and when it boots into windows it flashes a few times then freezes etc. I just booted back into the machine now and everythings fine, I do not dare start a DirectX app, would replacing the videocard fix this?

Heh, Nice sig. I'm actually using it to post right now which frightens me, is there any possibility it could be something else? I would be really relieved if it was just the GPU and not the CPU, replacing the CPU would be some kind of hell.

Thanks I'll try that Major. Anyone else have some insight, maybe someone whos experienced these problems with a machine before?

Edit: Just ran the 3dmark 2001, I'm leaning more towards a VC problem. Frame rate is smooth, dusted everything off, temps are fine, but in 3dmark the models are shaky, theres split second cracks and things occasionally going across the screen, but its better then an hour ago when it was fading to black and freezing :/

Make sure you have the right version of Direct X, you have updated your drivers, and try another card. It might be your VPU...

Reinstalled driver, no success, uninstalled driver, everything is a bit better, after I replace it I hope things go smoothley.

what driver are you using for dx?
dx 9.0 bad
dx 9a good
dx 9c best
dx 9.0 had a lot of buggs and was the worst thing you could ever put in your machine , here is a possible to look at , make sure your vid card cable is tight in the back of your machine ...both ends..

It sounds like artifacts from overheating. Thats the only way it could happen in BIOS. Have you overclocked your card before? You might have damaged it permanently.

What are your system specs and is your case large with how many fans?

Soyo AMD FSB400 Pro
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Running @ 2.0ghz
1GB DDR RAM
nvidia GeforceFX 5600 Jaton stock fan (time for upgrade anyway)
Plenty of fans its a Thermaltake case, but the extreme heat that was in the room was enough to do it, and the CPU fan is a Thermaltake Turbo
fan is still running fine on card
DirectX 9.0c is installed, its a large case, with 7 fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom