Should i update my cpu?

06Skywalker

In Runtime
hi guys,

I currently have a Asus p8z68-v lx 1155 sandy socket, my current chip is a i5-2500k clocking at 4.2ghz, and my gpu is a gtx 580. monitor is running at 1920 x 1200, SSD vertex 3 for games. 750w PSU

Im seriously considering a radeon 7970 upgrade (there such good value at £200) so i can get better FPS on battlefield 4.

Im not sure if my cpu would bottle neck this gpu? ive had a look and it looks like the best cpu i could get without upgrading my motherboard is the Intel Core i7-3770, again from looking its does seem like this cpu is alot better than my i5, question is will this cpu make much difference for BF4?

BF4 is my main concern, i want 60 Fps on ultra settings Battlefield 4 Beta GPU and CPU Benchmarks which according to this i may average?, (obviously they have a better cpu, hence my original cpu question)

any help much appreciated guys,

as always, thanking you!

Last edited:
No you don't. You don't even technically need that overclock. I'm running a stock 3960x with no turbo perfectly fine in BF4 with a single 580 myself.

I am, with 4xAA 1920x1200. I OCed my CPU to 4.4GHz and it made no difference so I put that back to stock. The only thing I keep OCed is my GPU and I'm running the latest beta drivers.
Try to remember BF4 is still a beta, and FPS dips are not entirely caused by hardware. Right now it's mostly network and sync lag, along with other issues with the game itself. There are tons of people with 580s and above having FPS issues, but there are some like me running it fine. I only get one large dip when the tower goes down. Once all the haze settles, my FPS is back to 40+. (Every time I play it's different due to the inconsistencies I mentioned).

Another thing to remember, is visually BF4 mimics BF3 besides small details. The last time I ran BF3 it was 60+ constant. Once BF4 releases and the kinks are ironed out I have a feeling I'll be doing that same 60. (That is if I don't upgrade soon like you are).

But to add to the GPU side, a 7970 would be a great upgrade.

Last edited:
Yea, I would upgrade the GPU if anything. Having a GTX 660, I play the game perfectly fine besides the random FPS drops. I was playing on Ultra with the 1080 resolution, GeoForce experience recommended me to drop down to Medium for some reason tho, didn't help the drops at all.

Yea, I would upgrade the GPU if anything. Having a GTX 660, I play the game perfectly fine besides the random FPS drops. I was playing on Ultra with the 1080 resolution, GeoForce experience recommended me to drop down to Medium for some reason tho, didn't help the drops at all.

For relevance to the hardware in question, a 660 performs less than a 580. So the OP knows.

FPS dips are just the game.

thanks guys,

I think i will upgrade to the 7970, my current card gets around £150 on ebay so it isnt even that much money to upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom