Mouse will move but not click

Pariya

Baseband Member
Hello. My parents are having computer problems and since i like to play computer games i am apparently the "go to guy" for computer problems... even though i don't really know that much about computers.

It wont click on anything but the mouse will move. Tried another mouse to see if the problem was with the mouse. The other mouse has the same problem. It moves but will not click. I can't get the computer to turn on since it gets the windows user login page and i cant click on a user.

So instead i did what i do know how to do and opened it up and cleaned the one case fan it has and also the cpu fan and heatsink and i applied new thermal paste. And if i can get it to turn on i can turn off useless startup programs and run some programs like ccleaner and spybot to clean it up but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

I'm dumbfounded as to what is preventing mice from clicking and cannot figure out how to fix it. Google search yields me nothing useful, or atleast not so far.

help? please.

Ok here's an update:

The mouse click does actually work because when i click on a user it highlights the user but wont load it up. If i click the button to bring up the shutdown/restart options it will push the button in but the menu won't open up showing the shutdown/restart options.

Windows Vista Home Premium

try it in safe mode with networking. If it works in safe mode then down load Malwarebytes, update and run a full scan while your still in safe mode

I started it up in safe mode but it still won't let me get past the windows login screen. Same exact problem

Problem solved. From the f8 menu i chose start from last known configuration which i think starts a windows restore to the last restore point. Well, whatever it did, it worked.

Back
Top Bottom