Comp Case fan for a dif use

Runfox

In Runtime
Ok I have a barbeque smoker, I need a fan to get the temps up. I have a couple of computer case fans about I was thinking of using. Sounds strange but it will work. So my qustion, what is the volts AC or DC for a typical case fan? The typical Molex adapter type? Are they AC or DC? I want to set it up with a adjustable speed adapter and 120 volt plug to plug it into the wall.

The voltage/amperage rating should be on a sticker on the fan itself. Fan voltage can vary from 5v to 12v usually. So you'll need a transformer to reduce the voltage. Can usually just pick one up from RadioShack (or if you have a spare one that matches the fan's voltage and clip the ends off that way).

You can use wire nuts to tie the wires together from the fan to the transformer. Case fans are all DC Volts (you'll need a 120v AC to 12v DC transformer, one of those wall warts would work well. You might be able to find a used one, it should be 12 volts and either match or exceed the amp rating of the fan motor)

I don't know at what temps you can melt a case fan, but it could be fun to watch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom