Building first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_KB

Solid State Member
Hey all,
I am building a computer for my hubby for a Christmas. I have some general knowledge about this area ( I have helped built 1 computer before).

I have done some research and this is what I have have so far...

Antec 350 watt case
Asus A8V Deluxe Via Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor

Now I am deciding on a video card. I did some research and settled on a 128 mb PCI. Either the eVGA e-Gef Force FX 500 or Xtasy ATI 9200 SE. Which one? Or any other ideas? Need something with VGA Out, TV-Out(S-Video / Composite) + DVI.

Finally, Since the MB has the capibility for dual memory. I was going to go with 2X512 mb. But do I need to get the "certified dual memory" or just two of the same chips would work?

Everything else I am stripping from his old computer ( dvd R/RW, additional cd r/rw, 2 X 40 gig HDs, blah blah blah...)

Thanks in advance,
KB

First off, nice cpu and mobo but why the crappy video card ? And for the memory, all you need is 2 of the same. Just buy a dual pack.

video

any other ideas? biggest things are that I need something with VGA Out, TV-Out(S-Video / Composite) + DVI.

He isn't a hugh gamer, just something that can get the job done. He is into video editing and stuff.

What is the difference between"certified dual memory" and just a 2 pack?

WOW I LOVE the fast replies, beats some big corporate stores where I know more than they do, pathetic!
KB

want a good low budget card go with 9600 or the 6800 regulars, want to splurge go with the x800xt or the 6800 ultra. better than nothing ehh

DON'T but the 9200se... its NOT worth the money. I got sucked into that one... lol! Boy do I regret it! Go with the ATI 9600XT... Check out the VisionTek company, they have lifetime warrenties on their cards :).

I agree that the 9800 is great but if he isn't gonna be gaming I would definately go with the 9600xt. Also, PCI is sloooow. AGP is the standard now and it's looks like it's gonna be fading soon to pci-e. Don't even bother looking at pci-e though, 8x AGP is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom