new pc disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darlac

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,
I tried to update my old pIII pc -
so I decided to buy new mobo, cpu and memory !
after struggling 3 weeks with defective parts, finally I have a conifguration that works - or this is what I first thought -
when I boot up the system error message appears:
bios checksum error - defaults loaded -
struggling with this 2 days, I managed to remove it by (reviewing some forums) increasing the memory voltage to 2.7 v (if not do that then the error becomes cpu unworkable or changed)
now the systme tris to boot but it crashes (just after the "windows is starting" message) and the "blue" screen stays for only 1'', so I cannot read the error message - after that it restarts (no error message this time).
I already tried to update the bios, change the cmos battery, used other memory, changed the psu - nothing!!! the same problem!
any ideas?
I think it might be the old video card I have; if I boot form the windows xp cd would it help?
any help is really welcome - if I keep like that with the update I will end up not only with pc, but without woman too!
Dimitris

Abit KW7
AMD Athlon 2700+
Corsair 512 MB 3700
Maxtor 20G (sustem HD)

Update on the system

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.167GHz 333FSB
Corsair VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5
everything else is similar,
thanks
Dimitris

Hi all,
thanks for the answers -
PSU (power supply unit) I got a brand new (tried 3 different) always the same problem.
the video card works - but I read from someone in a forum that mobo may conflict with old video cards - not really know if it is right
thanks again,
Dimitris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom