Random Computer Shutdown and Restart Issue

dredinger

Beta member
I seem to have a problem with my computer. I built my own computer with the following specs:

MOBO: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.4Ghz
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 16 (4x4) GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
HDD: 2x 540GB HDD
SSD: Corsair Neutron Series / (Can't remember other SSD with OS installed)

About 4 weeks ago we had a pretty bad storm here in Florida, and lightning struck nearby and shut down my computer. Since then, I have had problems with the computer. It will start up, but once it gets to the Windows loading screen with the 4 colors coming together, it shuts down as if someone pulled the plug and restarts itself after about 3 seconds. I've looked through the BIOS and have been unable to find any reason as to why the system was shutting down. The CPU was sitting at or below 40 degrees C, and all the voltages looked correct.

At first, I flashed the BIOS to the latest version (2.10) and tried to restart... Same issue. Would shutdown either at the Windows loading screen or after about 2 mins of being loaded into Windows idling. I looked through the BIOS and then realized that I was no longer at 16 GB of RAM, but rather at 8GB. I ran a memtest on the RAM and ran into no problems. I tried each stick of RAM in each slot, also no issue there. When I have all 4 sticks in all the slots, only 2 show. When I have 2 sticks of RAM in their respective slots, they show properly.

That's the first issue. The second issue I'm having is with the shutdowns. Figuring after the BIOS update it could be a simple PSU issue, I bought and replaced my old PSU with a Corsair TX850M 850W. For about a week I had no issues, then just the other day, I've been having the same issues. It will just shutdown and restart if I try to load into Windows or Ubuntu on a USB stick I have.

Again, I've looked through the BIOS with the same result: no issue found. Temperatures are where they should be (under 40 C) and the voltages look fine. I'm afraid my MOBO is shot and if so, am going to have to spend quite a bit of money to get a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom