Storage Help

IntelFanboy417

In Runtime
Hello,
I currently have a home file server set up for my family to use. Currently everything stored on the server is stored in the one single drive. I need you opinion for a better storage solution. Should I use SSDs for long term storage? Should I use hard disk drives? What RAID should I use RAID 1 or RAID 0? Also what RAID card would be necessary? Thanks in advance. Also, please dont recommend online backup services, as I prefer to use my own private service.

As I said in the other thread, don't use SSDs for file storage. A it's a waste of money, B you can get way more space for said money, and C you'll pretty much never use the speed so that's a waste too.

Everything really depends on the task, daily HDD load, and the system behind it. If this is a simple box setup for people to grab movies or whatever off of then I suggest just buying a 4TB drive to add to what you have no, and just add to that drive when you need more space. RAID really isn't that necessary until you can afford a bunch of drives at one time, the card, and have a need for the speed. I go to LANs all the time while only having a few drives dedicated to games, TV, movies, and apps. On the other hand my friend dropped money on a RAID card, 4 4TB drives, and did RAID 5 losing 6TB in the process while never actually utilizing that RAID setup.

Would be more worth it to just buy 2 drives of the same (or 1 larger) capacity, and use the second (or larger) for backup purposes. RAID =/= backup solution.

Have a backup application that runs on their systems, or from the server even, at a certain time every so often if you want, that way all their personal files are backed up.

Thank you guys for the help, I do have a automatic backup program running, so I dont have to worry about that. From your suggestions I think I'm going to go with two 2tb Western Digital hard drives. My motherboard on the server has 5 sata ports already, could I configure a RAID just by using the on board Sata connections or would I have to have a separate RAID card to run the raid setup?

Use RAID 1 to mirror both backup drives, this way you can recover all data if you have a hard drive failure. RAD 5 would work as well, but it uses three drives and you will lose some space because of parity.

RAID card isn't necessary if your motherboard has a raid controller built in. Most do and will allow RAID 1/0 setups. Personally I would purchase a card and do it that way, most home RAID cards will only cost around $40 and will do all the 'lifting' when it comes to processing RAID commands (otherwise your CPU will be doing that work if you use one that comes on your motherboard).

Back
Top Bottom