Random Crashes after fixing hardware problem

Ozitiho

Beta member
Alright so, this is going to be a fun story.

I've never really tinkered with my PC much before. But after coming back from being away for a week I found my PSU was found broke. In order to fix it I asked a friend for advice but all that made me do is excessively test my build to see what component might be causing the defect, resulting in me manhandling all of my old(-ish) components to the point where now I'm worried that I might have damaged them a little.

After wisely deciding to disregard his advice and buying a new PSU my PC started to function again. For just a few days it seemed to be completely fine. But after a few days, it started crashing at a complete random, once or twice a day. However, the frequency seems to go up while watching videos and playing video games (I play LoL and it crashed ONCE, hardly conclusive). While watching videos it crashes at least once before I could finish watching the entire 30 minute video.

When it crashes there are a few things it does, for one the graphics ALWAYS glitch. Causing strange distortion and/or pink/green colors to show on screen. After that it freezes, either to recover after a bit, to stay frozen or to blue screen me. Alternatively it might also just turn black and freeze up permanently.

Point I'm making, I suspect I might have ****ed up my graphics card. And I don't very much care to spend an uncertain amount of money on a new one if either I could fix mine by whispering it sweet words or if that's not the problem at all. I need a second opinion. And I'm hoping I could get one here.

Alright so, this is going to be a fun story.

I've never really tinkered with my PC much before. But after coming back from being away for a week I found my PSU was found broke. In order to fix it I asked a friend for advice but all that made me do is excessively test my build to see what component might be causing the defect, resulting in me manhandling all of my old(-ish) components to the point where now I'm worried that I might have damaged them a little.

When it crashes there are a few things it does, for one the graphics ALWAYS glitch. Causing strange distortion and/or pink/green colors to show on screen. After that it freezes, either to recover after a bit, to stay frozen or to blue screen me. Alternatively it might also just turn black and freeze up permanently.

I suspect I might have ****ed up my graphics card. .

Well lets see what the problem is, for starters tell us what kind of computer you have with os.
Next tell us what VGA card you got, read the white serial number on it and bing it online and see what comes up about the card.

I will say this though, if your card is really doing all that on a inconstancy basis I would just chuck the damn thing and look for a new one. :/
I understand you don't have big bucks to spend a card but for 79.99 buget I'll grab you a few good ones.

Well lets see what the problem is, for starters tell us what kind of computer you have with os.
Next tell us what VGA card you got, read the white serial number on it and bing it online and see what comes up about the card.

I will say this though, if your card is really doing all that on a inconstancy basis I would just chuck the damn thing and look for a new one. :/
I understand you don't have big bucks to spend a card but for 79.99 buget I'll grab you a few good ones.

Well that only makes sense to do. But upon closer inspection I had some trouble finding out what information is relevant... Firstly, the card runs 'AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series'. On the card itself there was a white number printed: d33006. However googleing that didn't get me very much. Mainly something about the motherboard. Secondly there were a bunch of stickers on it, but those seemed to contain ZERO relevant info. Other than that I couldn't find any other numbers that seemed relevant.

I tried updating my drivers the other day, after posting the question. For a while that SEEMED to have fixed it. But the next day in the middle of the night it crashed anyway.

So is this enough reason to actually blame the graphics card? You say I should just chuck it and I would be fine with that if it's actually the reason it's broke. But personally I'm not very confident about that.

Well that only makes sense to do. But upon closer inspection I had some trouble finding out what information is relevant... Firstly, the card runs 'AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series'. On the card itself there was a white number printed: d33006. However googleing that didn't get me very much. Mainly something about the motherboard. Secondly there were a bunch of stickers on it, but those seemed to contain ZERO relevant info. Other than that I couldn't find any other numbers that seemed relevant.

I tried updating my drivers the other day, after posting the question. For a while that SEEMED to have fixed it. But the next day in the middle of the night it crashed anyway.

So is this enough reason to actually blame the graphics card? You say I should just chuck it and I would be fine with that if it's actually the reason it's broke. But personally I'm not very confident about that.

1. if the graphics card has a name on it, tell me what that is.
2.Reason why I said get rid of it, if the vga card is having distorted colors and is doing any of the stuff daily.
That would normally indicate the graphics card is getting ready to die.
Thats why I said what I did, give me model number of the vga card and I'll do some digging around for you.
I'm going to assume the warrenty is out on your vga card.
If not tell me when you bought it and I'll find out for you.

Lastly I recommend you get yourself a new vga card.
ATI or Nvida you choose and you tell me how much you wanna spend.
Once I know that I'll work with you closely even by email if needed.

The ball is in your court.

"MikeTech"

Are you overclocked at all?

I am not, actually. I wouldn't see the use.

1. if the graphics card has a name on it, tell me what that is.
2.Reason why I said get rid of it, if the vga card is having distorted colors and is doing any of the stuff daily.
That would normally indicate the graphics card is getting ready to die.
Thats why I said what I did, give me model number of the vga card and I'll do some digging around for you.
I'm going to assume the warrenty is out on your vga card.
If not tell me when you bought it and I'll find out for you.

Lastly I recommend you get yourself a new vga card.
ATI or Nvida you choose and you tell me how much you wanna spend.
Once I know that I'll work with you closely even by email if needed.

The ball is in your court.

"MikeTech"

If you're sure that it's the VGA card, I suppose I'll take your word for it. It was my own first suspicion too after all. Here's to hoping It solves the problems when I replace it. As for budget, I'd like to improve or suffer minor loss if I have to on what I currently have. I'm imagining a price range between 50~150.
As I said, I had trouble finding any relevant information.
imgur: the simple image sharer
Here's a link to the pictures I took of the graphics card. Could you give it a try or perhaps tell me where to look?

Back
Top Bottom