Opinion on System Upgrade

srobert1944

Beta member
Hi... I'm new to this forum. I'm upgrading my peresnt system which has a DX58So Board with an i7 processor and 6 GB of memory. It has usb2 and SATA II. I want the upgrade to get USB 3 and SATA III as well as just a faster rig.

I run three internal hard drives, two graphics cards attached to four monitors and a bunch of USB stuff. I'm not a gamer and I don't overclock. Here is what I want to add to this full tower:

Asus Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Intel Core i7-3820 Quad Core Processor
Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB)
EVGA Supernova 1000G2 ATX12V/EPS12V 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1000-XR
SansDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB SATA 6.0 SSD

I'm really not much up on the newer hardware so I just want to know if anyone sees any flaws in my plan or has any suggestions for changes. Price is not really an object. I just want something Faster and with the newer ports....

Let's fix some stuff up. You have an overclocking overpriced board when you don't overclock.
You can save over 100 bucks and get the same experience by using this board (I have the same one).
ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

You also chose an outdated SB-E CPU, which oddly isn't much better than the first gen i7s.
This processor is gen 3.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74820K

I went ahead with the X79 rig since I'm guessing you're into productivity with the setup at question.

Also gotta ask what GPUs you're running, because I'm going to guess the Supernova 1000 is overkill for a setup not overclocked. There are also better units for the money, since you said money isn't an issue. On that note, you could also look at this CPU which is quite an upgrade from the 1st gen i7s. Hex vs Quad.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K

Here are two better quality SSDs to choose from.
Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Since this rig is capable of quad channel, I would add two more 8GB sticks (32GB at 4x8) or get 4 4GB sticks. Memory bandwidth is moot, but since you're dropping the money on the setup, might as well. You also do not need to purchase any RAM faster than 1600, and if you wanted to add 2 sticks from your previous setup (2 2GB sticks) that would be fine too.

Without any extra information like what the machine's purpose is I can't really recommend anymore.

Thanks... Very informative... I will check out your suggestions. I use my computer for web site development and a lot of writing and publishing (news letters etc.) and Photography (Photo editing, etc.). I have two Radon X1650 Series cards purchased primarily for the two digital monitor connections...

Yea those two cards barely take any power. You know you can buy one card that can support up to 6 monitors these days AND help with parallel processing in productivity programs, right?

Even if you wanted to stick with your current GPU setup, or replace the combo with a better single or dual solution, this PSU would suite your needs more than raw power.
SeaSonic SS-660XP2 660W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Depending on what type of connectivity your monitors utilize, there are several AMD and Nvidia cards that support 4 digital connections by different means. Most having 2 DVI ports, an HDMI port, and a Display Port. DP in multi display mode can daisy chain monitors if you have a current LCD setup. Makes for less clutter of cables.

Well, given that PSU info, would my real power pro 650W do the job?

I will probably keep the two graphics cards I have since they work just fine for my needs, but will keep the information in mind for when they have to be replaced...

I don't trust CM PSUs at all, but if it's worked for you this amount of time it's probably safe to say it'll be fine. The CPUs are literally the same TDP. You're just getting a lot more speed in that power envelope.

Back
Top Bottom