Moving a Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRJ97

Beta member
I work with a small metal manufacturing company with no technical support, and am in a bit of a jam. Before I came here a fully registered version of AutoCAD was installed on our only computer and the disk has since been lost. We just bought a newer computer and I'd like to put the program onto it, but I don't know how to get it to run. I copied the entire folder over, but I'm getting an "Unable To Locate Component" error. I know that the dll files aren't in the program folder, but I don't know how to move them.

Can anyone help this computer novice install the program onto another computer without the disk?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

besides putting the old HD into the new pc, its gonna be really rought ot do this if not impossible. See the disc prolly loads/registers files off the cd into places scattered across the hard drive. It prolly also loads info into the registry.

However, you should prolly call autocad's customer support and tell them your situation. they may be able to verify that you've paid for the version and get you a workaround or new cd.

this is a very complex process that will take a bit of computer know how. It's not something that I would even try, cause I do know how to and I also know what to do, but the time involved is very large.
If you did own a valid copy, then contact Autodesk and ask them to send you a copy and the serial number that your company was using. They should be able to provide you that stuff without problems.
If on the other hand you really want to go this route, I'll walk you through it, but be prepaired to spend a lot of time on it.

Good luck

You may have all the files on the new hd, but all the registry entries will not be there, and since the registry tells everything what to do it won't have instructions for the program.

Thanks you all for the advice . . . it appers as though contacting Auto Desk will be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom