Solid State Member
I am building new system with the following hardware:
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 760 Micro ATX MoBo
AMD FX-4100 X4 3600MHZ CPU
4GB ADATA DDR3 1333 (2) RAM
WD10EZEX 1 TB int HD
When all asswmbled cpu fan runs, system fan runs, drive spins
up but no beeps - no screen. PSU is working or fans would not
run, MoBo is getting power - what else could be wrong. Bad CPU?

Theres probably something up with the motherboard, try taking the video card out and try it, or take the motherboard battery out for a little bit and put it back in, and also disconnect all CD drives, hard drives, etc. and try it.

Last edited:
What's the exact model of your motherboard?
IntelFanboy417 said:
Theres probably something up with the motherboard,
Depending on the model of mobo, that processor may not be supported until he updates the BIOS or maybe not at all.

Last edited:
all to often an issue like this is due to the board shorting out from no or mis-aligned stand offs for the motherboard.
best option is to remove the board, place it on a non-conductive surface leaving the cpu/heatsink/cpu fan and one stick of memory on the board. connect the keyboard, mouse, monitor (use the on board video if you can) and connect the power supply, jump out the PWR pins on the front header pins on the board and see if the board will post.
If the board posts, (I usually set the time/date and fan settings in the bios at this point) then place the board back in the case making sure all the stand offs line up and there are no extra stand offs. Check the I/O plate because those little fingers protruding from the usb port openings in the I/O plate can get inside the usb ports. Add one device at a time while still checking to see if the pc will post

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. I will be giving this a try. On closer examination, I see that I missed 2 standoffs.

all to often an issue like this is due to the board shorting out from no or mis-aligned stand offs for the motherboard.
best option is to remove the board, place it on a non-conductive surface leaving the cpu/heatsink/cpu fan and one stick of memory on the board. connect the keyboard, mouse, monitor (use the on board video if you can) and connect the power supply, jump out the PWR pins on the front header pins on the board and see if the board will post.
If the board posts, (I usually set the time/date and fan settings in the bios at this point) then place the board back in the case making sure all the stand offs line up and there are no extra stand offs. Check the I/O plate because those little fingers protruding from the usb port openings in the I/O plate can get inside the usb ports. Add one device at a time while still checking to see if the pc will post
OK. Tried what you suggested and bench test still did not produce POST. Does this indicate a MoBo or CPU problem?

Does the board have a speaker or did you connect a speaker? Do you hear any beep codes when it tries to boot up?
Check the cpu and heatsink to make sure it is properly seated. You might possibly need to clean the thermal paste from the cpu/heatsink and re-apply a fresh coat on the cpu.

Is the memory properly seated? You should get a beep code from faulty memory

Does the board have a speaker or did you connect a speaker?
Is the memory properly seated? You should get a beep code from faulty memory

I agree with you on that joe but read his first post again.
I think his problem might be doa ram.
If he could get that tested out in another computer it will tell us if it really is the problem.
Also try this for me, remove the memory from the motherboard and tell me what happens cekre.

Back
Top Bottom